• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Stork

The stork pub was the secon pub was the second pub up on your right hand passing the ye old oak tree pub ;
on lozells rd if you turned out of wheeler street on to lozells rd turning right if you was to go to villa rd handsworth
and crossed the the lozells rd emediaely and walked afew pace thats where it was
and when you turned into lozells rd turning right there was another pub emediately it was next to marios the coffe shop
on lozells rd this is around the mid fifties to late ;it looked as if the two pubs were facieng each other but they was not as they was across the rd facing each other the one on this side of the lozels rd on your left was the bussiest
and the customers came out of this pub and went int next door mario,s for a bite before or after drinking session it was a very busy pub the stork did not do much trade it was always quite the oldoak was always busy and fighting mad
and the copers was always there at any time of day to sot them out when they built the white swan down across the island on victoria rd it was heavenly and posh you could relax with the soft carribeana music .
they knock that section of lozells rd from about the stork and replaced those shops which eventualy
got destroyed by the riots of the sixtys and burt out that are there today ;
best wishes astonian ;;;;

I thought the stork was on Heathfield Road, on the corner opposite the accident…. sorry maternity hospital

Thanks Astonian. I think Moturn is correct someone has shown me a picture and it was on The corner of Heathfield Rd and what looks like Finch Rd.

Stork.jpg

This is an image I downloaded from the Birmingham History Site prior to a hacker attack late September 2011, where all forum images were lost. If you are the original image poster, or the owner of the copyright, please let me know, and I will gladly remove it

Morturn, you are correct, corner of Heathfield and Finch Road. Derek Doogan used to lodge there when he was at Villa. sometimes he pulled a few pints in the lounge. George

I seem to remember a Stork Hotel in the city centre near Lewis's,there was a red illuminated stork on the roof.

Stork.jpg

This is an image I downloaded from the Birmingham History Site prior to a hacker attack late September 2011, where all forum images were lost. If you are the original image poster, or the owner of the copyright, please let me know, and I will gladly remove it

I remember when Derek Dougan lived above the Stork Pub in the 60's when he played for Aston Villa, he drove a Mk II Burgundy Jaguar (2.4 / 3.8); can't remember which one but, my dad maintained it for him. The Doog was an OK guy.

Lozellian

hi lozellian well i never knew that as for the mk 11 jag...a lovely motor...thanks for the info...the stork is now closed and up for sale

lyn

Hi There paulyx what picture of the pub you say i have got confused by saying i am thinking of lozells road
on the subject of the stork pub which i knew very well indeed and just to mention i put this picture of that pub on this forum about two or three years ago and along with the question to Lynn Astoness was that pub still standing
because i had taken the picture from a book with the identical picture and i know of finch roadand villa road
going back years from groing up and actually working in finch rd which was on the other side of the road for a company as a tool maker
plus i have been ito that pub for drinking lunch time breaks from work plus i was involved with some think
for a certain group of people on a evening visit so i could not mistake that pub for the bell on lozells road
which i know very well from being living in berners street , and victoria road and for upper thomas street school
and for delivering milk around handsworth for the old midland counties dairies milk in the sixties
and my old long time friend mario whom parents ran the coffee shop for years next to the bell on lozells road
i do not want to offend you in any way, i only want to put the record straight for any mistakes that may have been put
that i never refered to the stork pub as the bell ,
and i think i can clarify carolina,s mention there was a nother stork pub within the old city of brum around the same period which i have also got in another book i will try and fish it out later all being well best wishes Astonian,,,,

Back