• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Stockland Green Flyer

christopher short

Birmingham Post
I promise you all that this is true. In the early 60's I left school and joined the queues at Stockland Green bus stops around 4.15pm. One day I was late and the queues had gone and I waited at the No.11 stop alone to see a bus coming over the hill from Erdington flying down the hill past Highcroft. It was an older bus not the usual No. 11 type and its signboard said Perry Barr. An elderly gent got off and I got on to find that I was the only passenger. The conductor wore his ticket machine just above the knee like a Western gunslinger. I sat on the top deck, back seat and the bus charged off down Marsh Hill at a terrifying speed,
past Witton Cemetery and then a clear run down Brookvale Rd. I got down just after Wyrley Rd and the bus slowed down for me to jump off at Tame Rd. Two "dings" and it was gone. It must have gone around Witton Island on 2 wheels.
I caught the same bus every day after that just for the adrenaline rush and became chums with conductor.
One day I got on without any money and he said "pay me tommorow" .
Do you know, the same elderly gent got off every day and I never did see the driver.......
Puts me in mind of Harry Potter's night bus. I'm sure the experts will enlighten me.

Sounds like the last trip of the day, and in a rush to get back to Perry Barr depot and finish!

Back