• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The station pub..

The Station Inn at Selly Oak is (was?!) definitely on a corner of the main road and a side road right next to the railway bridge.

I used to go there to see bands in the late 60's/ early 70's in the room upstairs.

I can't remember the number of the bus from town (could be 60 somthing?) but it wasn't the 8 - that was the Inner Circle route.

edit; just remembered the bus numbers, 62 and 63!

Thank you A Sparks for the info on the Station Pub, it was definitely Selly Oak, and I would travelling to it from Icknield St, so I suspect that maybe I got on a No 8 bus, bus then changed to one that went by Queen Elizabeth hospital. Someone will know I'm sure. I would have only been about 12 yrs old at this time, so these facts I give are correct, but can't be absolutely precise on what bus it was. I used to go in the school hols because my father worked there as a barman. It does sound as if it is still standing though.

Maggs

hello all, i think the number of the bus in Selly Oak at that time was posibly the 62 or 63 i remember going to a pub which might have been the Station under a bridge just before the juction where the Oak cinema used to be. i apolagise if i am wrong, incidently, the act i was going to see at the Station was Sonny (boy)Wilson backed by a Birmingham group whoe,s name i cannot remember.

shardeen

Maggs, years ago my mother had to visit her brother in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, she would board the No.8 in Aston and get off at the Ivy Bush pub near Hagley Road, and then get another bus to the QE, I have a vague memory that it was the No.1

Maggs it sounds to me like you might have caught the No.2B bus from the Ivy Bush on Hagley Road to Selly Oak, that went via the Q.E.

PS The pub was renamed 'The Bristol Pear' (pun probably intended)

Thank you Sylvia, Robert and Mike for helping me sort the bus out, that went to the Station Pub, I think that sounds absolutely what we would have done. I really thought the No.8 was involved somewhere there.

You are all great.

Maggs

maggs & Astoness

A little more information about The Station Inn.

The pub opened in 1881 as The Heeley Arms. Later changing to the Station Inn the photo I posted was taken in the late 1960's and at that time it was still called the Station Inn.

It has now changed names again, and is now known as The Bristol Pair. I was just wondering with a name like that if its a strip club now?

Phil

I wouldn't be a bit surprised PMC1947. I think my dad might though. He worked there as an evening bar man during the 1950's.

Maggs

Ray

The correct name of the Camp is The New Station Inn, and a very good pub it used to be. I've no idea what it is like now.

Phil
You wasn't wrong Phil,it did have a railway name but was called "The Camp",when I did some work there c1959.:)

HI RAY
The pub in question is the pear tree and its private owned and its painted yellow and black
still very busy ,the punters are all students only
and the question of the no 8 bus never went thatway to selly oak
only and still does go any where near is and was the number 11 bus
the eight was the inner circle
every acount maggie would havegot the 8 bus up to the hagley rd and droped at the ivy bush
and crossed the rd there was another bus that used to stop there that took you to yardley
but i just cannot think at the moment of the number along with the twenty -one
up to selly oak i think at the time the number bus to yardley was a single number
i think my or our dear friend Lloyed could answer that one
ray do you recall smokies joe up the bristol rd up there way back
enjoy the rest of the day every-body best wishes Astonian;;;

Hi Astonian, Hope you are fit & well, i was born and brought up in Yardley for 23yrs and still have connections there, i don`t know of any single number bus which called at Yardley from the Ivy Bush side it would have been the Number 11 two single 1`s put together!!, Cheers Len.

Yes, Astonian we did used to get the No 8 bus up to the 'Ivy Bush' and then onto the No 11 for the Station puc at Selly Oak. That pub had a full size snooker table in it when I was a child, and I often played with the snooker balls on the table. I am amazed that the Gaffer let me do that.

There was a bus if it went close to the Ivy Bush that would have brought you to Acocks Green near to Yardley this was a single number plus a letter bus the 1a. Len.

i was born at 622 (back of) bristol road, in 1944,almost on the corner of hubert road, the next road up, was heeley road where my auntie phylis livedthe station pub is on the corner, now named the bristol pear,the railway bridge runs across on the , opposite side, the name across the bridge was DARES when i was little, my school mate lived at the station pub, with her uncle, i believe. her name was ann tyler, the railway station entrance was up heeley road.

hI lEN
Thats the number you are quite right as i rememer it seeing it when we used to go into the ivy bush
and getting on it many , many years ago long befor the bus companys ever changed around th bus routes and there numbers just like the number five or seven route which used to be witton then changed to the bearwood route and like the lodge rd route the number ninety five from to the top of dudley rd terminus
even the buses to theasy estates great barr there number was changed from the days of the old copper on point duty at hockley brook
have a nice day everybody Astonian ;;;

There was a bus if it went close to the Ivy Bush that would have brought you to Acocks Green near to Yardley this was a single number plus a letter bus the 1a. Len.

I believe the bus we got on at the Ivy Bush pub, used to go by the Queen Elizabeth hospital on route to the Station pub.

hi maggs
my mom and dad moved to hagley road in the early sixtys and when home on leave I would drink in the Ivy bush it had a great crowd in there.
paul

I think the thread started out looking for info on the station public house saltley which was positioned somewhere beyond salt let viaduct and just under the bridge to the right .

My fathers favourite boozer

hi all...does anyone know of a station pub....probably station rd...near a railway bridge...on the no 8 route...

If so a pic of it would be great...

Lyn:)
Hi. It's taken a while to get to grips with this original request for information about "a Station" pub on the Inner Circle (no.8) by a railway bridge. Most folk seem to have had an obsession with a pub of the same name in Selly Oak!
But, I think that the pub in question is the Station Hotel on Bordesley Green Road. Travelling south from Saltley, the Station Hotel stands on the right hand side immediately before the railway bridge.
I have no idea when it opened, but it was certainly standing there in 1883 when the landlord was George Burke.
I don't know when it closed, but it had an abandoned air about it in 2009, and there was a crude. "For Sale" notice on it in 2014. It is still standing but time has not been kind to the abandoned building, however the sign is still hanging from its bracket over the footpath. There is very little housing around there and not much of a car park, so it's no wonder that it's closed. However a sign still attached to the side states that they once did B&B.
A conference centre is being built next door, but it does make you wonder how long this pub is for this world.
These photographs were taken in 2009, 2015, 2019 and 2020.Station Hotel, Bordesley Green Road - 2009.jpgStation Hotel, Bordesley Green Road [credit to Chris Whippet] - 2015.jpgStation Hotel, Bordesley Green Road - July 2019.jpgStation Hotel, Bordesley Green Road - signs - September 2020.jpg

Last edited:
Back