• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The station pub..

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...does anyone know of a station pub....probably station rd...near a railway bridge...on the no 8 route...

If so a pic of it would be great...

Lyn:)

Hi Lyn

Heres a list,

Station hotel, Jsph. Hart Coady, 7 High st. King's Heath 14
Station hotel, Edwd. Holden, Bordesley Green rd. Saltley 8
Station hotel, Leonard Orme, 1 Rolfe street, Smethwick
Station inn, Albt. Grubham, 72 Saltley rd 7
Station inn, Chas. Hy. Hateley, 373 Monument rd
Station inn, Frank Beecham Mountjoy, 676 Bristol rd.
Bournbrook, Selly Oak
Station inn, Leonard Chas. Sage, 24 Ladywood road

Out of those I would imagine it would be the one on Bordesley Green Rd, by the station. Although I remember the pub I'll have a look but I don't remember having a photo.

Phil

thanks phil..i am asking for someone else.... Will get back when i have given here this info.....hopefully we can narrow it down....

Cheers...

Lyn..:)

Lyn

I don't think this is a complete list by any means, because offhand I can think of a couple more "Railways". There was one in Curzon St and another in Park Rd Hockley and I'm sure a lot more besides. None of these on the number 8 bus route though.

Phil

thats what i thought phil...couldnt place on edirectly on the 8 route..maybe just off it....will message you again when i get some more info....

Lyn:)

Station hotel, Edwd. Holden, Bordesley Green rd. Saltley 8

This pub was opp Adderley Park Station and was directly on the No 8 route and was actually on a bridge over the railway line.

Lyn

I have an idea that the building is still standing, although no longer a pub.

Phil

phil..ive just read me notes and i am not so sure now its that one...its says it was on station road and it was a long busy road...the only station roads i know of are in erdington and station road wylde green...

Lyn

Lyn

There are Station Roads in Aston, Kings Heath, Harborne, West Bromwich, Erdington, Acocks Green, Cotteridge, Northfield, Stechford, Oldbury, Solihull and Sutton Coldfield, and thats without the Station Streets. None of those are on the number 8 bus route. How many of those have public houses called the Station I don't know but I will see if I can find out.

Phil

hi phil actually i am just doing a bit of leg work here for our member maggs...shes busy tomorrow and may not be online so i said i would see what i can find out...think we may have to wait for her to provide some more info.....

lyn:)

i wonder if it was this one maggs means park road hockley...the number 8 did run by it...was there a railway bridge nearby i wonder...and maggs did live just off ickneild st...

lyn...

bit more info on the station pub we are looking for....maggs lived in morton st off icknield st and got the bus from there to selly oak...she said it was the numb 8...and thinks the station pub was close to selly oak railway station...hope this helps and we can find her a pic of it...

lyn :)

Lyn

I can't remember the No 8 ever going anywhere near Selly Oak. Are you sure it was not the 11.

Phil

i cant eith phil...maggs is back on line..i will ask her to jump in now....

Lyn

Selly Oak Station is in Heeley Rd, on the corner of Heeley Rd and Bristol Rd in No 676 and 676 is the Station Inn. If this is still true today I do not know.

Phil

thanks phil...i think we will have to wait for maggs to confirm one or two things now....

cheers

The Station pub is still there its called the pear or something now. It is by 2 bridges, a railway bridge and a canal bridge.

Lyn

Still waiting for you to confirm its the right pub. in the meantime.

Phil

Attachments

• Selly Oak Bristol Rd Station Inn.jpg
    Selly Oak Bristol Rd Station Inn.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 10
oops sorry phil..which ever one it was maggs said the bus went past the queen elizabeth hospital...i bet this will help...she may have got the part about the number 8 bus wrong..it was a long time ago...

guess what phil...ive just found out that i had ancestors on dads side living duddeston nechells....1841...thought that would please you....i will now be on the lookout for pics of the addresses..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

will obviously search the forum 1st....

Thanks to you all for looking for the Station pub for me. How old is the pic shown Phil? Perhaps we went on the No 8 bus in Icknield St, and then had to change to get to Selly Oak, but the bus definitely went past the Queen Elizabeth hospital.

Maggs

I have just asked Phil what year this pic would have been. I don't remember it being on a corner though. So is that pub still standing? I wouldn't think there would be two pubs in Selly Oak called the Station though would you?

Maggs

maggs

Sorry, but I have no idea of the date, but it looks to be early sixties, and didn't Robert say that he thought it was now called The Pear or something like that. So it must still be standing, only going by another name.

Phil

Kings Norton Railway station,had a Pub next to it always known as "The Camp",but it's real name was either The Station or The Railway.

Ray

The correct name of the Camp is The New Station Inn, and a very good pub it used to be. I've no idea what it is like now.

Phil

Back