• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Star

O

O.C.

The Star Pub at Aston and a pub coin for the Star

Attachments

• Aston Star Inn Aston Rd North.JPG
    Aston Star Inn Aston Rd North.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 11
This token was for the Villa Tavern on Nechells Park Road but decided to post here to keep all my money in one spot, be moved over to the Villa Tavern when we have a picture

Hi Cromie , it's me again  if my memory serves me right there was a road across from the star on the other side of the Lichfield road, I seem to think it is Avenue Road.and around the mid fifties there was a little shop opened up and this was old man Fletcher,he stuck a couple of old orange boxes outside and he started to sell old car lamps and bulbs and little accessories and I remember old grand dad Ernie Jelf , saying to mom  I have got to get a lamp or bulb for his old three wheeler van.he said old Fletcher has got one but he wants  2/6p for it.and I won't pay him that for it, he was a tight old so and so all the money he had, best of all him and Fletcher grew up together but at the end of the day ,old Fletch made a thriving business  and they and his sons and grand siblings well established now up on Dartmouth St.   Fletcher's Auto's they did have painting on the walls outside of the motor cars of the era one was of the early morris's  and a three wheeler what he had.so when you showed the old Star it all came back to me.   Best wishes Crom,;;;

My you have a good memory Astonian, they ought to stick you on the Carl Chinn Show

CORE BLIMEY CROMIE,
You are a mind field of knowlege there,s no limited to you
I Think you should be with carl on the show .
was it dustie when you pulled it out , spectacular .
and to think the old man started with a couple of orange boxes
ernie was,nt around when old fletch ;; dream matured.
to show him he could match his weaith /
old ernie would spend his money every night in the star
with fletcher,and they would drink bitter, to close
and ernie would bring a jar of good old gerkins
and goreganosler cheese sand wiches ,

i hope you will keep bring our historyout
for a long time to come , crom

Hi there, the Fletchers you refer to opposite the Star pub was F J fletcher, to brother of A B Fletcher, i knew Francis J Fletcher, he had that shop on Aston rd nth, and another one in Erdington, the Erdington shop is still going, but i don,t think its owned by a Fletcher now. John

Back