• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Star cinema

The Star Cinema, Slade Rd. Both the old and the new (I would think)

Attachments

• Erdington  Star Slade Rd.jpg
    Erdington Star Slade Rd.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 29
  • Erdington Slade Rd Star Cinema 1955 .jpg
    Erdington Slade Rd Star Cinema 1955 .jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Two
thanks Phil,
no sure I remember the old one, I was born in 1947, maybe the brains cells are fading, thanks for the pics, your all so amazing the way you keep all these lovely pics....

Was the newer version of the Star just the old one with a new frontage and foyer?

Phil can you help ? How do I get my old photos onto my computer, do I have to have a printer that scans to the web ?
Advice would be welcome please. Dee

Hi there delywindsor21,

If you have a scanner that would be best, but also if you have a digital camera you can take a photo of the photo and upload that to your computer. Lastly you could get a mate to scan your photos for you and put them on disc or memory stick and upload that.

Hi there! The Star cinema was one of my favourites, between 47/51 at least three maybe four times a week we would be there, it was 6d-9d and in the posh seats at the back 1/6d, many a night to see an 'A' film we would walk up and down the queue asking the adults to take us in, most times we got in,once inside we would 'sidle' around to where the mates were sitting, so many good memories, Thanks..

Only just found out this thread for the Star which I mentioned this morning in Palace thread. I lived in Abbey Road and passed it every day on my way to Slade Road school. Also before the war used to go every Saturday. In earliest days was on 1d to go in and the went up to 2p. Can't believe it now. Just saved some of the lovely pics. Love the one with the tram

The Star Picture House was closed on 30th August 1958 the last film shown was Frank Sinatra in “Pal Joey” and Anthony Dexter in “Parson and the Outlaw”.

The Star for many years was run and managed by a former Villa player and interestingly Villa player Peter Mc Parland lived very close by

Back