• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Star cinema

We certainly had a few cinemas to choose from in Erdington and most of them showed 2 different films a week ,switching over midweek if I remember correctly.

Interesting. I recall the STAR Cinema, as when I was fifteen I went to a dancing school on Gravelly Hill, and used to go to the Star after dance lessons. I remember The Palace in High Street too. Ah such happy days.

I remember the Star Cinema iused to go in 3d seats and when in the seat when it goy dark we would go under the seats and go in the 4d seats and sit with the girls.That would be 1950-55 they were great times

According to the book Iam using for referance the Star opened in 1914 and was owned by Aston Villa player William Devey, it doesnt say when. Its frontagw was heavily modified in the mid 50s with what looks like a new canopy and large square shaped pillars surrounding a lrager centre secion with vertical columns that are in a darker colour.
In 1957 it was turned into a film studio for making TV adverts then prior to demolition in 1982 it had also been used as a factory and offices, hope this is of interest.

;)I used to go to school between 1953 and 1957 in Slade Road, next to the Star. What a luxury, out at 4.30 and start a queue at the 'STAR' Happy memories, Any school friends remember me, Roy Gregory. Before demolition the film studio belonged to Birmingham Commercial Films. They held a few open evenings there too. Very interesting

Thank you for sharing that with us, so interesting, my Mum worked there in the fifties and as we only lived just up the road, in St Thomas, I often went to meet her on summer evenings to walk home with her. I was born in 1947 , safe on the streets in those days.

Sorry Roy, I don,t think I remember you but I started at Slade Road in 1952' I swam in all the galas at wood coat St, (think that's how you spelt it)? Long long time ago......

I vividly remember The Swan Pub, going past to home for lunch, with the old ladies sat on the wall with their turbans on drinking half a pint of ale, (in a ladies glass of course) I recall hearing them call each others :ducks or duckie or dear)
Happy days...

You can just about see the Star picture house on this picture of Slade Rd taken in 1952.

Attachments

• SLADE RD, ERDINGTON 1952.jpg
    SLADE RD, ERDINGTON 1952.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Two
God, I must getting old, I can even remember the trams !!!! thanks for that, your so lucky to have all these lovely photos.... and I CAN see the STAR.....

The Star Cinema, Slade Rd. Both the old and the new (I would think)

Attachments

• Erdington  Star Slade Rd.jpg
    Erdington Star Slade Rd.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 29
  • Erdington Slade Rd Star Cinema 1955 .jpg
    Erdington Slade Rd Star Cinema 1955 .jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Two
thanks Phil,
no sure I remember the old one, I was born in 1947, maybe the brains cells are fading, thanks for the pics, your all so amazing the way you keep all these lovely pics....

Was the newer version of the Star just the old one with a new frontage and foyer?

Phil can you help ? How do I get my old photos onto my computer, do I have to have a printer that scans to the web ?
Advice would be welcome please. Dee

Hi there delywindsor21,

If you have a scanner that would be best, but also if you have a digital camera you can take a photo of the photo and upload that to your computer. Lastly you could get a mate to scan your photos for you and put them on disc or memory stick and upload that.

Back