• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

the star and garter

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all would anyone have a pic please of the star and garter pub..i believe it was on the corner of brearley st and maybe gt hampton row..newtown....i am sure i had one but cant seem to locate it...

cheers

astoness:)

Hello Lyn,Only just noticed this link i agree that it was on the corner of Great Hampton Row & Brearley Street.
It's a poor quality picture but the only one i have ever seen.

Moss.

Attachments

• Hockley Great Hampton Street - Brearley St Star & Garter.jpg
    Hockley Great Hampton Street - Brearley St Star & Garter.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 46
o wicked moss..thank you very much..not just me but my aunt will be chuffed with this..can you tell me is the long shot gt hampton row or brearley st...

many thanks again...

lyn:):):)

The pub was on the north east corner of the junction, so it must be Gt Hampton st going up to the left
Mike

hi mike..well if its gt hampton row that we can see more of thats brillient as pics are hard to come by...if possible can anyone have a go at making the quality a bit better please...

thank you....

lyn:):)

Hiya Lyn,Is this a better picture of The Star and Garter?
Moss.

Did you see the picture i posted on the New John St West link?It was taken from the next corner down Gt Hampton Row.

Is this the last photo taken of the star & garter? - My Gran (with stick) Caroline Selvy, formerly Southwell, nee Farmer with Annie, her second husbands daughter next to her. About 1965?

See post #10

Last edited by a moderator:
hi brian...well what a sad but very important pic..even though your family are smiling how sad they must have felt...the notice say it all...the star and garter remains forever more...and yes i would think it must be the last pic taken of it...thanks for posting i will show this to my aunt joyce..she lived only a few doors away...

lyn

Hi KH Brian and mossg, would it be possible for you to repost the missing photos for this thread please :)

star___garter.jpg The Star & Garter - Gone but not forgoten. Caroline Selvey (nee Southwee, nee Farmer) with Step daughter Annie Savage (nee Selvey), friends and workmen mid 1960's

well done bri ive been trying to find that pic in me files to no avail...thanks for reposting..my aunt lived a few doors from this pub..

lyn

Did I get this photo from here in the first place?

Attachments

• Hockley  Star & Garter Great Hampton Row - Brearley St  1960.JPG
    Hockley Star & Garter Great Hampton Row - Brearley St 1960.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 58
lindy just a guess but i think the butchers shop would have been opposite the 2nd or 3rd shop in phils pic..

phil i dont know where you got that from but im sure ive never seen it before..what a great shot of the shops down that end of gt hampton row..very rare...

lyn

Lyn

I keep saying that I will start keeping a record where I get my photos from. but I never do. I suppose I don't want the extra work.

Thanks again for your help Lyn, it is most appreciated :)
I noticed Phil's photo was dated 1960 which then had me wondering how old the buildings would have been? would you have any idea please, because I havent a clue how to date buldings.

lindy there is a cracking old map but i cant save it for some reason...think its because its too big and i really must ask my son to help on this as its worth saving...any how if you go to post 124 on the st georges church thread the map is of st georges in the fields dated 1825..by looking at it we can narrow down quite well when the buildings were built..you will see that gt hampton row had only been cut as far as tower st and brearley st as far as hospital st...all the rest was fields which were rented out...so i think we can safely say that your rellies butchers shop did not appear before 1825 but no later than 1849..my guess is about the 1830s...

lyn

lindy there is a cracking old map......lyn

That is cracking lyn...thanks so much for pointing me in its direction, I've managed to save it (dragged and dropped into My Pics) :) and thanks for the build time info too...this is probably going to be the daftest question ever but do you think the buildings in the 1960 photo would have been the original ones built in 1830 ish ??

glad you saved that map lindy you have just reminded me to ask my son why its going funny when i try to save it...its not a daft question at all but yes i would say that the buildings in the 60s pic are the original buildings...

I'm relieved you didnt think it was daft :adoration: I will live in hope of coming across a photo of my rellies side of the Row..

hi all would anyone have a pic please of the star and garter pub..i believe it was on the corner of brearley st and maybe gt hampton row..newtown....i am sure i had one but cant seem to locate it...

cheers

astoness:)
Hi this photo was taken during the war. It says on the sign “The star and Garter remains for ever more”. My great grandmother is on the far right of the photo and it was taken during the war.

Hi Deborah, if the photo was taken during the war it must be a different Star and Garter , the one on the corner of Great Hampton Row and and Brearley St was open throughout the 1950s and early 60s. Mossg

Repost of my pic of the Star & Garter under demolition mid-late 1960's.
Small lady with stick on left as you view is my Paternal Gran, Caroline Selvey (formerly SOUTHWELL, Nee Farmer).
Her step daughter Annie Savage (Nee Selvey) is next to her, along with 3 Demolition men and presumably 2 other old Regulars - At the time, they were both living (on different floors) of the Tower block opposite adjacent to St George's Churchyard

Repost of my pic of the Star & Garter under demolition mid-late 1960's.
Small lady with stick on left as you view is my Paternal Gran, Caroline Selvey (formerly SOUTHWELL, Nee Farmer).
Her step daughter Annie Savage (Nee Selvey) is next to her, along with 3 Demolition men and presumably 2 other old Regulars - At the time, they were both living (on different floors) of the Tower block opposite adjacent to St George's Churchyard
Thanks for the update and a copy of the photo

Back