• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the star and garter

I'm relieved you didnt think it was daft :adoration: I will live in hope of coming across a photo of my rellies side of the Row..

hi all would anyone have a pic please of the star and garter pub..i believe it was on the corner of brearley st and maybe gt hampton row..newtown....i am sure i had one but cant seem to locate it...

cheers

astoness:)
Hi this photo was taken during the war. It says on the sign “The star and Garter remains for ever more”. My great grandmother is on the far right of the photo and it was taken during the war.

Hi Deborah, if the photo was taken during the war it must be a different Star and Garter , the one on the corner of Great Hampton Row and and Brearley St was open throughout the 1950s and early 60s. Mossg

Repost of my pic of the Star & Garter under demolition mid-late 1960's.
Small lady with stick on left as you view is my Paternal Gran, Caroline Selvey (formerly SOUTHWELL, Nee Farmer).
Her step daughter Annie Savage (Nee Selvey) is next to her, along with 3 Demolition men and presumably 2 other old Regulars - At the time, they were both living (on different floors) of the Tower block opposite adjacent to St George's Churchyard

Repost of my pic of the Star & Garter under demolition mid-late 1960's.
Small lady with stick on left as you view is my Paternal Gran, Caroline Selvey (formerly SOUTHWELL, Nee Farmer).
Her step daughter Annie Savage (Nee Selvey) is next to her, along with 3 Demolition men and presumably 2 other old Regulars - At the time, they were both living (on different floors) of the Tower block opposite adjacent to St George's Churchyard
Thanks for the update and a copy of the photo

My (step) mom grew up not far from the Star & Garter and this was her dad's local. They were there until they were told they had to leave.

She doesn't remember much but she was able to recall the name of the pub. She seemed to recognised the picture in post #2.

I’m a bit late to the party here, but I have this actual original in my hand lol ! My great gran Nanny Southwell/Selvey on the far right with the stick in far right, Annie Savage, , left!

Attachments

• 6D0E0C5E-5ECF-4AF3-8C66-80FA11009366.jpeg
    6D0E0C5E-5ECF-4AF3-8C66-80FA11009366.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 12
I’m a bit late to the party here, but I have this actual original in my hand lol ! My great gran Nanny Southwell/Selvey on the far right with the stick in far right, Annie Savage, , left!
Your Gt Gran - Caroline Farmer/ Southwell / Savage is my own Paternal Gran!
Annie Selvey / Savage was a daughter of William Thomas Selvey who married my gran in 1935.
His wife had died and his children were in Barnado's homes (sent to London?)
My Grand dad had died in WW1 and gran had raised 9 children (out of 10 born), in a back to back in Brearley St.
Having Married "Bill" Selvey, she finally got the surviving children (6 out of 9 - 3 having since died) out of Barnado's to raise with her own.
When one of her daughters in law died inn WW2 she took on the 3 children (Father was away in Royal Navy), but the late Aunt's family took 2 to raise, leaving her with just 1 more.
Gran and Bill had worked in the Pen Industry, lived in Brearley St, later Gt Hampton Row - and worked hard top raise their children in the days before so many benefits people now enjoy were even thought of.
They certainly do not make them like that anymore!
If Only I could chat to her now with what I know, instead of just being a child when I knew her!

Your Gt Gran - Caroline Farmer/ Southwell / Savage is my own Paternal Gran!
Annie Selvey / Savage was a daughter of William Thomas Selvey who married my gran in 1935.
His wife had died and his children were in Barnado's homes (sent to London?)
My Grand dad had died in WW1 and gran had raised 9 children (out of 10 born), in a back to back in Brearley St.
Having Married "Bill" Selvey, she finally got the surviving children (6 out of 9 - 3 having since died) out of Barnado's to raise with her own.
When one of her daughters in law died inn WW2 she took on the 3 children (Father was away in Royal Navy), but the late Aunt's family took 2 to raise, leaving her with just 1 more.
Gran and Bill had worked in the Pen Industry, lived in Brearley St, later Gt Hampton Row - and worked hard top raise their children in the days before so many benefits people now enjoy were even thought of.
They certainly do not make them like that anymore!
If Only I could chat to her now with what I know, instead of just being a child when I knew her!
what a woman your gran was bri as i guess along with many others who fought to keep the family together with little or no help at all..a great lady

lyn

what a woman your gran was bri as i guess along with many others who fought to keep the family together with little or no help at all..a great lady

lyn
So many people are "poor" these days - but back than it was a real hardship - No mobile phones, Play stations, take aways, benefits, etc. - Whenever we visited - us kids had to play in the yard, or sit in the corner and be quiet - though she did occasionally offer me snuff! - by the time I was a teenager - she was in Western Road with dementia - not knowing who she herself was, let alone me & my dad.

So many people are "poor" these days - but back than it was a real hardship - No mobile phones, Play stations, take aways, benefits, etc. - Whenever we visited - us kids had to play in the yard, or sit in the corner and be quiet - though she did occasionally offer me snuff! - by the time I was a teenager - she was in Western Road with dementia - not knowing who she herself was, let alone me & my dad.
how right you are bri...i think a lot of us can be guilty of the odd moan about life etc but who would actually want to walk a mile in the shoes of those who lived in real hardship...

lyn

Back