• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Spitfire

Another Spitfire update....this time the focus could be moving to the Castle Vale stories of buried Spitfires. Can't you tell I'm fascinated by this story.
I do like happy endings mind you. Hoping. https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/ne...-dig-for-spitfires-in-birmingham-says-1246086

Me too Jennyann. This is relatively 'modern' archaeology. Do so hope some of these are found, whether abroad or on our doorstep. The article mentions some of the UK buried parts being greased before burial, which doesn't sound to me like disposal. How interesting. Viv.

Re: Replies Here

Like to know more about the people who worked at the Castle Bromwich Factory
My Father was Albert Allsopp who was a Maintenance Fitter were there anymore work mates who worked with him or perhaps knew him
I know its a bit of a long shot

Re: Replies Here

I do hope someone finds something one day. I think burying items in these days was common. I remember talking to an elderly lady a few years ago who lived on a farm here in Tamworth. She told me a lot of machinery from the farm was buried in the 50's like cheese presses and other cheese production machinery. So why not planes etc.

What is the reason for burying them in the first place ?? and surely burying crates that size would be easy to locate plus records would have been kept of location and people concerned with the burying would have passed information to friends and family members It all seems a bit far fetched to me, hope I am wrong. Eric

Hi

just had a Fantastic piece on Flog it. A south African Air force Spitfire fully restored
took 9 years and still flying from Manston.

Mike Jenks

Hi

just had a Fantastic piece on Flog it. A south African Air force Spitfire fully restored
took 9 years and still flying from Manston.

Mike Jenks
"Flog It"? I fantasise about attacking that Paul wotsisname with a blunt pair of shears and hacking those stickey-out bits of hair off the sides of his head !

I'm don't know if this info has been posted before but I was in the BBC shop in the Post Box yesterday and noticed there was a nice painting in the foyer named ''A Spitfire over Castle Bromwich.''.....there's a photo of it on the BBC website.

Hello, I'm a newbie to the site and found this thread really interesting. My husband's family have a link to Castle Bromwich and the building of the spitfire and family legend has it that my husband's grandfather helped to design the landing gear on the spitfire. He was Joseph Robinson and came to Castle Bromwich (originally an Aston Cross lad) from Dagenham. Does anyone have any information or can direct us to clarify this "rumoured legend". Thanks. Joseph was from Stella Street around 1897. Thanks.

Hopefully this picture will post. Taken last weekend with a dinky little camera that was hard to use. So don't expect too much.

Attachments

• Ottawa airshow 13 126 A.jpg
    Ottawa airshow 13 126 A.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 19
The Hurricane. A late arrival but managed to get a photo before going home. Not many left now that fly and one was lost to a fire a few years ago.

Attachments

• Ottawa airshow 13 165 A.jpg
    Ottawa airshow 13 165 A.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 15
A PBY taxiing after landing with the Lanc taking off in the background.

Attachments

• Ottawa airshow 13 051 A.jpg
    Ottawa airshow 13 051 A.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 20
The PBY is such a gracefull aeroplane. It looks at home on the ground but probably should always be flying. Many more to follow if it is allright to post here.

Attachments

• Ottawa airshow 13 036 A.jpg
    Ottawa airshow 13 036 A.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 10
The Firefly. Not remembered so much perhaps but a beautiful flying machine.

Attachments

• Ottawa airshow 13 007 A.jpg
    Ottawa airshow 13 007 A.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 16
The Lancaster...what can you say...still flies and bl..dy well.

Attachments

• Ottawa airshow 13 009 A.jpg
    Ottawa airshow 13 009 A.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Ottawa airshow 13 033.jpg
    Ottawa airshow 13 033.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Ottawa airshow 13 106.jpg
    Ottawa airshow 13 106.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 4
Back