• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Spitfire

That's good news Jennyann. And they hope to have some evidence in only 5 or 6 days! Thanks for posting. Viv.

If anyone would like to read a public forum regarding the buried Spitfires in Burma including some other aircraft burial stories you can go to this site. Today's posts are at
the bottom as the posts are in date order and will continue on as this project in Burma gets going. I read through most of it this am and there are some very interesting observations on this forum. https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-482576.html I'm keeping an open mind at this point.

Such a pity. But they must be there somewhere in Burma. Suppose it would cost too much to extend the survey. Viv.

Surely if there are any Spitfires buried in Burma (which I am beginning to have doubts) would not the local populace know of their whereabouts ?? I realise there is a lot of wild terrain there but I'm sure some locals would have been aware of the location and passed the information down. Eric

At the moment the buried Burma Spitfire story is not panning out as expected. We will have to await further news. There might be something in the
local angle to the story of buried Spitfires at Castle Vale. This story ran in the Birmingham Mail last week. One man came forward sometime ago stating
that he knows of Spitfires buried at Castle Vale. Now another gentleman has come forward to say the same thing. https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/richard-iii-hunters-set-to-hunt-1033443

Do not wish to sound disbelieving, but as in Burma would they not keep records of the exact location in Castle Vale (I presume they woud be in crates ready for assembly ?). Eric

Hi Eric: I would have thought that there would have been some records kept about the Castle Vale Spitfires. On the other hand there were
such things as "Top Secret" projects with the MOD, so no records have come to light so far it seems.

We played on the aerodrome as kids there was lots of stuff about we had cockpit dials etc you can buy spitfire parts today still boxed all stamped AM dated 43/4 sadly mine have gone now still got Jerry bits i picked up on ex Lutfwaffe bases that site needs a good dig

Great Jennyann. Fingers crossed for Mr Cundle. Seems very determined and wish him luck. Viv.

That be interesting i done digs years back it was what i found on Castle Vale that started me off you did not have to dig then?

I recently read a book on the archaeology of WW1 and WW2 airfields in the UK, and it seems that at the end of the last war it was common for materiel to be buried, rather than take it away to dispose of it. Apparently the Americans buried vast quantities of stuff rather than ship it all back to the USA. I said in a previous post that the subject of buried Rolls Royce Merlin engines, Spitfires, etc., etc., has become something of an urban legend, and if this is the case then I'm sure it harks back to real burials of surplus materiel. Regarding the story of buried Spitfires in Burma, I'd say that the chances are there's something in this, urban legend or not, otherwise it wouldn't have kept going for so long.

G

Back