• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Soho Road trams - 1: the horse trams, 1872 - 1887

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
The first trams in Birmingham ran on the Soho Road, but it wasn’t in Birmingham at the time. There was a near-miss before that, as a 31-year old American named George Francis Train entered into an agreement with the Birmingham authorities in 1860 to build and operate a horse tramway from New Street to Five Ways Edgbaston, but the Public Works Committee made it a condition that the line be extended to Monument Lane (now Monument Road). He had already opened lines in Birkenhead and London, and was instrumental building other installations in Europe, notably Copenhagen, but nothing came of the Birmingham proposal.
In those days Birmingham was a very progressive borough, and as early as 1861, its leaders obtained parliamentary powers under the Birmingham Improvement Act to build tramways, although it formally rescinded the agreement with G F Train in 1862, after he disappeared from the country. But horse bus traffic increased with the dramatic growth of work and the population. Over the next few years, local politicians were eager for new tramway proposals, but it was not until 1870 that three schemes were considered, The Tramways Act 1870 made promotion easier.
The first (horse) tramway
Many deals were done, and the Birmingham and District Tramways Co. Ltd. started to build a horse-drawn line from the Birmingham boundary at Hockley Brook through Handsworth and West Bromwich to Great Bridge, which was opened on 20 May 1872. Unlike later tramways in Birmingham and the Black Country which had a track gauge of 3ft 6in (1076mm), this line was built to the standard railway gauge of 4ft 8-1/2in. (1435 mm). Over a year later, on 6 September 1873 the line was extended into Birmingham, over tracks built for Birmingham Public Works Committee, to Monmouth Street, later Colmore Row, at first with through services to Dudley Port and Hill Top. It took a little time until a continuation past what became Victoria Square and Paradise Street and along the Bristol Road as far as Bournbrook was opened in 1876. However the original tram route through West Bromwich did not pay its way, and the service from Carters Green to Dudley Port ceased in December 1873, and to Hill Top in September 1875, but a new branch, closer to Birmingham, opened on 23 November 1874, off Soho Hill at Villa Road and going through “The Village” to a point in Lozells Road past the Villa Cross pub, where a depot was built. Stables were provided next-door to the “Red Lion” in Soho Road and beside the “New Inns” on Holyhead Road.
In 1876 the horse tramway ‘main line’ was cut back further from Carters Green to New Inns, Handsworth. The operating company was merged with horse bus undertakings to become the Birmingham Tramways & Omnibus Co Ltd, later consolidated into the Birmingham Central Tramways Ltd in 1886.

I've just come across a great photograph in an old book I managed to get my hands on and I thought I'd share it with anyone who's interested - a photo of one of the first Birmingham and District Tramways Co Ltd horse cars. I have also attached a front and back view of a tram ticket for the same tram. How it has survived so long I have no idea as it's printed on really flimsy paper. I was given it by my dad in the 1960s and I didn't realise how old it was until recently - at the time I thought it was quite modern! My great grandparents lived in Hockley at the time so I guess they must have been the ones paying 2d for a ride on the new tram. Apparently so many people turned up to see the trams that the police were often called in to control the crowds! Sorry about the large images - having a bit of difficulty getting the hang of it all!!
100_3130.jpg
100_3133.jpg
100_3134.jpg

Back