• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Sisters

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
This is another bit of daft fiction, only suitable for reading during coffee breaks...

THE SISTERS

The door swung open and I was greeted by a grinning tangle of gold curls that was Rachael. Although she lacked the elegance and poise of her elder sister I had always admired her bouncy character. That was one of the reasons I had maintained a loose liaison with her since Lisa and I had gone our separate ways.

It wasn’t exactly an amicable split – she dumped me for being an ‘arrogant, self-centred pig’. Unfortunately, my reasoning that I was just an average bloke didn’t carry much sway.

‘So you finally managed to crawl out of your pit then?’ she mocked, her bright blue eyes sparkling with amusement as she stepped aside to allow me free passage into the small hallway.

‘Been up for hours,’ I countered. ‘It’s the bloody Sunday bus service – good as bugger all.’

‘Well if you weren’t such a glutton for booze you could’ve driven here and let somebody else do the drinking.’

‘But it was you who…’

Ignoring my protestation that it was she who suggested I come on the bus, she called out, ‘Bron, he’s landed.’

A small-built, mousy haired, Bryony Redmond, Rachael’s new housemate, appeared at the far end of the hall. If there were two opposites it was Bryony and Rachael. ‘Hiya,’ she smiled a timid welcome.

‘Are you sure you’re going to be able to cope with this?’ I asked, aiming a thumb at Rachael as Bryony showed me through to the back room.

‘You leave Rachael alone,’ she scowled, ‘She’s my housemate. I rely on her for the rent.’

‘And there’s many a landlord who would welcome me with open arms,’ Rachael added from behind, ‘I bring a touch of glamour and excitement to anywhere I go. It’s only the odd old misery who doesn’t appreciate me.’

‘Well there you go, modest as well,’ Bryony laughed, ‘Come through, Tim’s here.’

Although I’d never met him, Bryony’s brother had cropped up in conversation with Rachael. Despite Tim being in the middle of a business degree at Oxford, I’d never seen anyone less like a student. He looked more like a brickie.

In contrast to his sister, he was well over six feet, with a mop of black curly hair and a build like a brick outhouse. His ruddy face lit with a warm smile as we shook hands, making me feel instantly at ease with him.

If his manner and build was anything to go by, it looked like we were in for a heavy session.

How Tim folded himself into the front seat of his sister’s tinny Citroen 2CV is still a mystery to me. We must have looked like a right tribe, landing on the car park of the White Swan and slotting that thing, amongst all the pretentious BMWs and Mercs.

I bought the first round, three pints of bitter and a sparkling water. As I’d forecast, Tim was as good as he looked. While his sister gazed wide-eyed, he all but drained his glass in one gulp.

‘Now I know exactly what you’re doing in Oxford.’ I joked.

‘Then they wonder why they run up those student debts,’ his sister added, seemingly less than amused.

As soon as I’d caught up with him, Tim was on his feet, glass in hand. ‘Another?’ he nodded at me.

He was at the bar waiting to order when the door flew open and my hopes of enjoyable Sunday lunchtime were suddenly shattered. Typically - the four of us had just begun to fall into easy conversation and she appeared like a spectre in a bad dream.

It wasn’t the fact of her looking even more stunning than ever; it was what she had on her arm. I don’t bother with labels myself but I do know a good set of threads when I see one, and this poseur could’ve just been released from an Armani catalogue (if there is such a thing). Not only that, he was modelled in the mould of Brad Pitt, or some other work of perfection that always made my skin crawl. I glared at Rachael. She stared back shaking her head in an act of innocence.

‘Ed, this is Simon.’ Lisa actually had the gall to introduce him to me. Reluctantly, I muttered some response.

Lisa took a seat facing me across the table. I instinctively shuffled up to make room for Simon, once he'd followed Bryony’s instructions to pass his order on to Tim who was already at the bar.

Reacting to the fragrance of his Gucci aftershave I shot another glance at Rachael who was now shifting uncomfortably in her seat. Across the table I could sense Lisa’s eyes on me. ‘You okay?’ she actually had the neck to enquire – as if she cared.

In truth, I had felt the blood drain from my face, which she must have spotted. Determined to deny her the opportunity of gloating, I nodded and turned on a forced a smile. I then sat back, prepared to brazen it out while the small talk flowed.

That was easier imagined than done. It was no good. I was too immature to brave it out. I knew if I stayed there I would do or say something I would later regret.

I only hung around long enough for Tim to distribute the drinks on the table before making my apology. ‘I’m sorry,’ I said, ‘I don’t feel that good after all. Probably a bad pint or something last night, so I’ll be off.’

Not hanging around for permission from anyone, I shot to my feet. In my haste to get out of that place I felt my backside catch something as I squeezed round the table. It was inconsequential. All I wanted was out of there so I didn’t even look around.

The bus stop was only across the road but it was Sunday service. To make things worse, as I was the only person waiting for a bus, it was likely that I had just missed one.

I could not have been standing more than five or eight minutes when I spotted the Citroen making a hesitant, lurching exit from the pub’s car park. I moved forward as it swung into the kerb. The passenger door fell open and Rachael beamed at me from behind the wheel.

‘Well, are you going to get in or are you going to stand there like a gormless gobshite all day?’

With a great deal of apprehension, I moved forward. ‘You’ve got a bloody nerve, stitching me up like that.’

Rachael slapped a palm against her forehead with frustration. ‘For God’s sake will you just get in the car and stop acting like a bloody spoilt brat. Haven’t you already put on a big enough show in there without providing more street entertainment?’ She leaned across the seat and lowered her tone. ‘Look, I’m sorry. Believe me, I had nothing to do with my sister turning up back there.’

Rachael could be wild and could pull some stunts but she wasn’t a liar, so I accepted what she said for the moment and climbed in beside her. ‘Well if it wasn’t you, who was it?’ I asked, purposely gazing through the windscreen.

Grinding of the gears as she pulled away from the kerb she told me, ‘Dunno. Simon lives local to the Swan so I can only guess it was coincidence.’

‘Yeah,’ I sneered, ‘and my arse is a window shutter. Anyway, where did she pick up this “Designer” Simon?’

‘Our place. Remember the housewarming that you were too miserable to attend?’

‘Yeah. I didn’t come cos I knew she’d be there.’

‘Well Simon was there. He works with Bryony and me. In fact, his dad owns the firm.’

‘That figures – slimy lookin’ bugger!’

She punched the steering whee. ‘Can we go somewhere a little more comfortable?’

‘Like?’

‘Your place or mine?’

Now I knew Rachael wasn’t responsible for my trauma I felt a little easier, even risked a bit of humour. ‘Is that an offer?’ Unusual for Rachael, she blushed, seemingly stuck for a response. ‘Okay then – yours.’ I chortled. ‘My flat is almost as big a heap as this dustbin. By the way, does Bryony know you’ve taken it?’

‘She was concerned that you wre genuinely unwell and wanted to pick you up. Knowing exactly what was up I thought it would be better if I had a word with you.’

Silence prevailed, more or less until we docked outside the small terraced house.

‘Well it didn’t take that sister of yours long to get back on her feet, did it?’ I said watching Rachael turning the key in the front door. ‘What’s she doing with him?’

‘Having a good time, from what she tells me.’ She grinned at me over her shoulder as she led me into the house.

‘I don't understand, if he’s connected to you and Bryony why is Lisa hanging out of him?’

‘Oh, give it a rest will you, Ed? No wonder she gave you the elbow. I’ve never come across such a miserable sod.’

I took a seat facing her across the living room. ‘So what’s all this about then? Why did you bother picking me up?’

A huge sigh betrayed her impatience. ‘Because despite you being a big immature lout, I don’t like the way my darling sister flaunted that Simon in front of you. There’s no need for it. My god, you’re a no good, bigheaded swine, but you don’t deserve that. She’s just trying to make you feel inferior because he’s rich, good-looking and well mannered. It’s unreasonable to ask you to compete with that, isn’t it?’

‘Oh, for one minute I thought you were going to say you liked me.’

‘In your dreams,’ she laughed then frowned. ‘Do you realise how childish your behaviour was back there? You were an embarrassment.’ Her mouth curved into a small grin. ‘Your only saving grace was tipping that pint all over Simon’s trousers. I think even Lisa had a bit of a chuckle at that. What an exit.’

‘Wanna know summat,’ I reluctantly confessed. ‘That was an accident. I didn’t even know I’d done it. Glad you told me though.' I laughed. 'It makes me feel a whole lot better.’

Rachael turned serious again. ‘And, even though it had nothing to do with me, that little escapade has made me feel better about my decision.’

‘And what decision is that?’

‘You and me,’ she said, trapping me in her stare.

‘Sorry. I’m not with you.’

‘Exactly.’ She paused and took a deep breath. ‘You have no idea how I felt about you when you were with Lisa. God knows your ego’s inflated enough as it is but I have to tell you, I envied my big sister. Unfortunately, you were wrapped up in her to notice. When you two split and we remained friends I was daft enough to believe we could at last be leading somewhere.
'But, worse than seeing me as a bit of company and entertainment, I eventually realised you only using me to keep close to Lisa.’ She shook her head slowly from side to side. ‘Really Ed, after today’s performance, I think you may need professional help. At your age it’s unnatural to be so obsessed that you can't bear to think of your ex having a new relationship. What do you intend doing, hiding away from her for the rest of your life?’

Of course she was right. Blinded by my jealousy, maybe even obsessive neurosis, I hadn’t realistically weighed up what I was doing with my life. If only I had known … If only she had… No, it was far too late now. I would have to live with it.

‘Okay, okay, I admit I’ve been a pain and I’m sorry. So, tell me, what’s this decision you’ve made?’

She switched her gaze from me and nervously stared at the carpet. ‘The idea of asking you out for a drink today was to introduce you to Tim. You see him and me...’

It hit me like a ton of bricks. What a day. In one foul swoop I had two sisters rubbing my nose in it.

THE END

:angel: Paul I wrote this post when I first joined the forum 2003, now I think it ties in with your story really well. What do you think ???

Once Upon a Life Time (Once I Had A Secret Love)

Once upon a lifetime in a place called Nechells, in the year of 1960. There lived three girls, two were sisters and the other one was the sisters' best friend. The girls would hang around on the corner waiting for a glimpse of, or a chat with the local lads.
They would all walk around the streets by the Gasometers talking and even share a 'Fag’ or two...
(There were some very spunky looking local lads )
Both the girls and boys thought that they were 'Real hip and Cool' as they listened to the latest music sounds from "Cliff and The Shadows", "The Tornadoes" and of course "Elvis".
Two of the girls were very popular with the local lads, but the third girl always felt as if nobody really noticed she was there. It was like being a cloud or a sound always there, but never really seen or heard.
That Christmas of 1960 the two popular girls received Christmas card from a number of the lads, but not one addressed to the third girl . The lad from whom this girl dreamed of and would have loved to have received a Christmas card from, sent one to her sister instead.
The years passed and they all moved on into the 'Real world'. One of the two sisters married one of those local lads and the other sister after moving away from Nechells, went to live in another part of the world and enjoys a fulfilled and happy life.
Their friend, no one seems to know (yet) what happened to her.

The year is now 2003 and technology has moved forward in leaps and bounds, with the push of a few buttons, people are able once again become reacquainted with friends and acquaintances with whom they had lost touch with.
In addition, lo and behold, the long awaited Christmas card arrived and it was all thanks to this Forum.
However even though the card was very much appreciated, it was not quite the same as it would have been all those years ago "Another place, another time".
(I now have a little collection of Christmas cards from my puppy love) ahhh life goes on. :smitten: :2funny:

...Rachael turned serious again. ‘And, even though it had nothing to do with me, that little escapade has made me feel better about my decision.’

‘And what decision is that?’

‘You and me,’ she said, trapping me in her stare.

‘Sorry. I’m not with you.’

‘Exactly.’ She paused and took a deep breath. ‘You have no idea how I felt about you when you were with Lisa. God knows your ego’s inflated enough as it is but I have to tell you, I envied my big sister. Unfortunately, you were wrapped up in her to notice. When you two split and we remained friends I was daft enough to believe we could at last be leading somewhere.
'But, worse than seeing me as a bit of company and entertainment, I eventually realised you only using me to keep close to Lisa.’ She shook her head slowly from side to side. ‘Really Ed, after today’s performance, I think you may need professional help. At your age it’s unnatural to be so obsessed that you can't bear to think of your ex having a new relationship. What do you intend doing, hiding away from her for the rest of your life?’...
It hit me like a ton of bricks. What a day. In one foul swoop I had two sisters rubbing my nose in it.

Chris :angel:

Yes Chris, I can see some similarities in the two tales but here the fella got snubbed by both sister and, from all the references to his infated ego, it may be that he deserved it. We can only hope I he learned something from it. ;)

:angel: Paul I liked your story very much and from my point of view can be related to a true life experience.
Yours is a work of fiction and we all know by now you never very often give us a happy romantic ending. :2funny:

Chris :angel:

Another one I missed........to quote a famous politician................I'll be back................

Back