• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Silver Sword

stones54

proper brummie kid
does anyone remember a T.V. serial called I think "The Silver Sword" it was about a group of kids during or after the 2nd world war & these kids lived among the bombed out buildings searching for bits of shrapnel among the ruins while hampering the Germans in whatever ways they could, I seem to remember Melvyn Hayes being the star I think he was called Eric, I would like to know the name of the theme music, thanks anyone that can help

Gleaned from Google:-

"My brother tells me the music used was an arrangement of the third theme from the first movement of Shostakovich's Seventh Symphony (Leningrad)."

Maurice

Gleaned from Google:-

"My brother tells me the music used was an arrangement of the third theme from the first movement of Shostakovich's Seventh Symphony (Leningrad)."

Maurice

I thought it was Smetana Moldau but I could be wrong

"The Silver Sword" certainly stuck in my memory but I can't bring the theme tune to mind. Melvyn Hayes's character was rather 'wimpy' and I didn't have much sympathy for him. I remember one episode where they stopped a train by undoing a rod controlling a signal. Is that where the 'Great Train Robbery' criminals got the idea? It would appear that the BFI in Bradford has copies of the original.
Off topic but can anyone remember a serial from around the same time which involved a candlestick like a Jewish menorah? Each episode was set in a different time but involved the same candlestick. I think the cast might have been the same for all episodes but they played a different generation.

Stones,

I never saw the series - if I had, I would have probably known. That came from Turnipnet or a similar site about old series. :)

Maurice

"The Silver Sword" certainly stuck in my memory but I can't bring the theme tune to mind. Melvyn Hayes's character was rather 'wimpy' and I didn't have much sympathy for him. I remember one episode where they stopped a train by undoing a rod controlling a signal. Is that where the 'Great Train Robbery' criminals got the idea? It would appear that the BFI in Bradford has copies of the original.
Off topic but can anyone remember a serial from around the same time which involved a candlestick like a Jewish menorah? Each episode was set in a different time but involved the same candlestick. I think the cast might have been the same for all episodes but they played a different generation.
sorry M8, I can't remember that series about the candlestick but I appreciate your reply to my original post

I remember that series and loved it too.
My Dad made me a tiny silver sword from metals at his workplace, I still have it somewhere :)
It was actually adapted from a book by Ian Serrallier
The_Silver_Sword_cover.jpg

According to Turnipnet the candlestick programme was "The Gordon Honour" and the candlestick had an extra arm added for each act of heroism performed by the Gordon family. The theme tune for this was "The Yeomen of England". [Turnipnet is a great source for TV nostalgia!]

Turnipnet even has a few seconds of "The Silver Sword" with possibly a few, very distorted, bars of the signature tune. (You will need to install something like VLC Media Player in order to watch it).

A snippet of the signature tune here?

Last edited:
does anyone remember a T.V. serial called I think "The Silver Sword" it was about a group of kids during or after the 2nd world war & these kids lived among the bombed out buildings searching for bits of shrapnel among the ruins while hampering the Germans in whatever ways they could, I seem to remember Melvyn Hayes being the star I think he was called Eric, I would like to know the name of the theme music, thanks anyone that can help

his name was Edek Baliki stones54 , I'm still working on the music

i have moved this thread from forum enquires to the appropriate section of the forum which is the tv section....

we have dedicated sections for most subjects so before posting new topics just anywhere could members please check to see if we already have a section for their topic...thanks folks it makes moderators job a little easier

lyn

Back