• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Silver Anzac Matchbox goes home

Chris
Did it ever go on display ? if it did could you get a snap of it sent to you to put on the site ?

Graham,

Due to the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day I have just been reading this thread for the first time and find it extremly interesting. I'm still trying to increase my knowledge of WW I and this has been very helpful, thank you.

Graham, they did say that I would be notified if and when it was.
As I have heard nothing I will give them a call, It could have been on show last year while I was away and they were unable to contact me.

Pom :angel:

Hi all - I am not sure if anybody can help me, but I think that the attached article might be an article I have been looking for for many years. I actually stumbled across one of these matchboxes at a military antique shop in Angel in 2002 and I have a brother in law who is absolutely facinated with WWI and the Anzac Forces, so I just had to have it. The lovely gentleman at the shop gave me a photocopy of an article explaining how the matchboxes were found with a photo of where they were found. When I returned to Australia I thought I put this all away together for safety, but I must have misplaced the article. It is now my brother in laws 50th birthday and I have saved this for over 10 years just for this occassion, but I have lost the photo copy! I can see that there appears to be an attachment above, but I am unable to access this. I have read the FAQs, reviewed my settings, but all to no avail. Love all the comments on this thread! Any ideas on the article.
Many thanks, Karen

Hi Karen. The posts you refer to where posted before the site suffered an attack from Hackers in which all existing photos were lost (see message at head of page).

Hopefully someone may be able to help but not all poster are still members.

Best of luck.

Hi Karen - Have located an article about the above matchbox that was 'returned' through the efforts of OC (Old Cromwell) AKA Graham Knight as mentioned in his post.

Anzac Matchbox.JPG

This is an extract from Issue 360 of The Army News NZ Army publication.

Bernard, Many thanks for the quick response. Who would do something like that! I am sad that I haven't found the article I was looking for, but I found a thread that I have enjoyed reading, and there is hope yet, I haven't given up. And once I find more, I can share it so that the next person who comes along can find it. Wish me luck.

Many, many thanks! Much appreciated. That is exactly what I need, not the original article, but it tells the same story and with the details from the forum I think I have the perfect present for my brother-in-law.

I have just reread this this thread, it brings home the suffering of young men, leaving their families many of them never coming home. 100 years ago the guns blazed in France and in every town and village people prayed for loved ones, hoping War would soon be over. After all when it started in 1914 they all said it would all be over by Christmas.............

As a family mine lost one young man at Gallipoli, the story goes that he didn't reached the land, cut down as he tried to wade ashore. Two uncles came home, one was wounded twice and sent back to France to fight again.

Something I have just read brings a lump in my throat, 'They fought for each other those young men'

Thanks to Graham Knight for the research he did, before things began to change on the Forum.

Back