• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the shareholders pub park lane aston ;

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi pub crawlers i am looking for info; on the name above pub
as to whom was the registered licencee at this pub during the 1963-64 era and also if its possible what number of park lane it was on
and does anybody remember the man whom swalled the big sword downis throat and also had a bed of nails to lie down on
and break block bricks with is hand
i beleive this pub was the first building facing potters hill
as i have said and sort of requested as what number on park lane it was
and was there a little bit of a walk way down the side of the pub
with little terrace house on before they change it to a road that takes you down to the barton arms am i correct on this please
once again i thank you all for your valuable time
best wishes astonian ;;

Dont know who was there in 63 - 66 but Jerry and Maud Cooke took it in about 66 - 67. They then went to open the Greenway in Chelmsley Wood about 73

hi mike
many thanks for your quick reply as usual i don,t surpose you knew the number of park lane it was in do you
also would there have been another greenway pub on coventry rd around the 80,s
by that dreaded blues ground ; [ sorry fans to say that nothink personal ]
yes you have guessed right i am a true astonian ; and villa --yeh ;

Address: 25, Park Lane, Aston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B6 5DA

Hi Astonian, the best way I can describe where you are looking for, is to walk up from the Aston Hippodrome into Potters Lane, with the Bartons Arms to your left. After the Hipp was Barton Street, on the corner of which was a tripe shop, then a ladies hairdressers, and a newsagents, and a small firm that I think made ducting or something similar, then the Shareholders on the corner of Potters Lane and Park Lane.

This Shareholders pub was demolished and a new one built on the corner of Park Lane and Potters Hill.

As regards the man who swallowed swords, a friend of mine whose mother put up acts from the Aston Hippodrome and had colourful people visit her house, once had a Sikh entertain us at a children's party at the house, he did a swallow the sword act, and did a fire eating act. We were all gobsmacked as we had never seen anything like it before. This was much earlier than the dates you mention of 1963/64.

The Shareholders Arms, Park Hill. I suppose this is the new one is it?

Phil
Photo replaced by what I think was the same as original

AstonShareholdersArmsParkRd2.jpg

Aston Shareholders Arms Park Rd 2 .JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi sylvia
yes i remember the old shareholders pub being demob;
and the new one being built and yes i can recall this guy whom had an accomplish with him he was an old guy english
whom performed all sorts of feats
like you said fire eating ; sword swalling block busting and chain swollowing a rather big heavvy chain and his bed of nails routine
and yes i entirely agree sylv ;it was that period of time i said it was in the fiftys and not the act s that concerned me really
yes i was hoping to find out whomwas the licencee at that time
and mike very kindly informed me of it is what i really wanted
the year i previously had said early but was good in you telling me your way was now i know what and where was barton st was i just could not think of that rd so i thank you for your knowledge and telling me
the little rd i was trying to think of when i was doing that thread
sylv ;best wishes -- ps ; i have been missing your threads for a while have you been away or may be ill ; i say that because i have not seen you on the forum for a long time ;; astonian;;;

hi sylv;
you was a great help indeed and its great to see you back on the thread
i myself missed your threads in your abscence and i there say alot of our older members as well sylv; a lot of threads are changing rapidly now
because our membership as increased tremendusly with new people on board which is great you have always written some cracking threads what i liked about you
its nice to hear that you are still tuned in even thou you are not on board ;brilliant ;
phil that is the new one compared to the older one
do you not remember the older style pub that used to be there
its a new frontage and and extending accomodation and better seating than the old one for both the punters and the gaffers view
but unfortunately the punters or clientale as you wish to call them as changed just like summer lane and its pubs
sign of the times a ;our kid still we have still got to soldier on
as you must consider how small the old one was its a little bit better but i do not like all the glass around it
all the best guys speak soon astonian;;;

Smashing photos John, about halfway down Potters Lane, was a little paper shop called Lane's, I used to have to fetch the News of the World from there on Sunday mornings, I never knew why because during the week we had the Mail delivered from Finnigans near the cul-de-sac at the bottom of Talford Street. During my family research I found a Lane connection and wonder if we were related to Mrs. Lane from Potters Lane.

Hi,obviously not been on here a while but if anyone's still a) awake at this time of night and b) interested : my dad Arthur Taylor was licensee of The Shareholders from 1957 to 1962 when we moved to The Stork Inn. The old pub wasn't demolished and rebuilt elsewhere at all! It was actually rebuilt around us while we lived there! I recall the workmen/ builders/ joiners very clearly as they made my mum a lovely table and made a cradle for my dolls.The line of Park Lane was altered which made it look like the pub was in a different place. PS the table sits beside me as I'm typing and holds my printer and files.

It's six years since the last post on here and the previous one was 12 years ago! But I'm researching the Inner Circle bus route (no8) and was wondering if anyone had a photograph of the original Shareholders Arms pub on Park Lane? I've found a few of the new one and of course the building is still there (empty I think). Thank you in advance to anyone who comes up with one!
Sharholders Arms building - (Old) Park Lane - July 2012.jpg

This, I think, must have been the photo lost from post 14, showing it from the side. Not a very good photo unfortunately
Aston Shareholders Arms Park Lane-Potters Lane.jpg

hi pub crawlers i am looking for info; on the name above pub
as to whom was the registered licencee at this pub during the 1963-64 era and also if its possible what number of park lane it was on
and does anybody remember the man whom swalled the big sword downis throat and also had a bed of nails to lie down on
and break block bricks with is hand
i beleive this pub was the first building facing potters hill
as i have said and sort of requested as what number on park lane it was
and was there a little bit of a walk way down the side of the pub
with little terrace house on before they change it to a road that takes you down to the barton arms am i correct on this please
once again i thank you all for your valuable time
best wishes astonian ;;
the gaffer in 1971 was the late ken turner my wife and i used to go there on a sat night he had a dance band it was a good night

Back