• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The sayings of our teachers - Can you remember any?

Don't these things stick with us Glynis. I used to teach swimming and have met several of my pupils who remembered simple things I said to help them with their strokes. It surprised me how those things stuck in their minds. Jean.

I went to a black country school, our junior school teacher had a poem he used to regularly recite it went:
Tipton born, Tipton bred
Strong in the arm
and weak in the yed!!

And that phrase went into a song by Black Country folk group, Giggety, except they sing it as 'Black Country born and Black Country bred'

There used to be a woodwork teacher of mine who will go down in the annals of history. He'd throw a lump of wood at you no problems and always referred to me as the worst student in England. I was a 'Slovin' according to him. I received an email some weeks back from an old student of his and we've been comparing notes ever since and that person is ten years older than me so there must be hundreds of fellow victims. Kind regards, David.
Do you know, that even with me being over 60 now, I still have panic dreams about not having done my homework? It just shows what a big part of our lives our short time in school proved to be.

As if to prove it, I have clear recollections of some of the things my teachers used to say, and I was wondering if other people remembered the sayings of their teachers.

I went to Yardley Grammar School and I can remember one teacher we all called 'Sam' - But not to his face! - He had three sayings that I can remember, all names he called pupils whose work or attitude annoyed him.

1. "You're a slacker." - For obvious reasons
2. "You're a chocolate packing machine." He then went on to explain that if a chocolate packing machine was made incorrectly it would make mistakes and would carry on making those same mistakes, just like we kept doing.
3. "You're a bucket." - I'm afraid I can't remember why he called us that.

OK, I own up, he is the one whose maths homework I have forgotten in my dreams.

Please share your recollections of 'things our teachers said'.

Not following the title of the subject exactly, I know, but my wife was a chemistry teacher. She became aware of an expression she used in her classes at an Art exhibition class the school held one year. One of the exhibits was a photograph of my wife and a group of girls around a bunsen burner - some wag had superinposed, above the burner, an atomic cloud and a bubble from my wife's mouth saying "Well it should work in theory"
Will.

A geography teacher at my school taught us a little verse to remember a certain part on a map of Italy.Does anyone recall if they heard it and how it properly went? There was a bit more to it but this is the bit i remember.

Long Legged Italy kicked little Scicily
right in the middle of the Mediteranean Sea
Up popped Germany said i,m Hungary
Let,s have Turkey
dipped in Greece

My english teacher at school taught me that always remember stationery with the 'e' in it refers to envelope rather than stationary. Its something that a lot of folks get mixed up with

A geography teacher at my school taught us a little verse to remember a certain part on a map of Italy.Does anyone recall if they heard it and how it properly went? There was a bit more to it but this is the bit i remember.

Let,s have Turkey
dipped in Greece

Yes, I remember that and I think you've got it about right.

My english teacher at school taught me that always remember stationery with the 'e' in it refers to envelope rather than stationary. Its something that a lot of folks get mixed up with

My English teacher said something similar:

pen - Stationery (You write with it on the stationery)

car - Stationary (When it is stopped, it is stationary)

At least I think it was something like that, but it was a very long time ago. Mind you, it must have worked, because I never make mistakes with those two spellings.

The woodwork teacher at U.T.S.always used to tell us, behave, or my little fox terrier will bite you.
His little fox terrier was a big stick which he used with wild abandon,and a very strong right arm.

''My room, Monday morning, 9.15!'' Our Headmaster liked to give us time to work up a good sense of terror! Psychological warfare or what?!?!?

Last edited:
Topsyturvey,
I can remember that rhyme too.
Also as a younger child, Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain or Read Out Your Green Book In Verse, to remember the colours of the rainnbow in the correct order.
Sue

At Dennis Road school in the 50's we had sex education from some specially trained bloke and when he came into the class our teacher, Mr Griffiths, would leave the room but for our last session we could pose, anomalously, any question we liked about sex. Our teacher didn't leave the room for this one and though I thought all the questions were honest and fair afterwards our teacher called us all a "dirty minded load of individuals" And his favourite was "too bally lazy!"

Long legged Italy kicked little Scicily right in the middle of Spain was the only one I remember. That doesn't surprise me though. Regards, David.

Let,s have Turkey
dipped in Greece

Jean, She used to say smell the rose, (breath in,) blow the tea( breath out) And when I threw a ball at a lad that was annoying me just outside yewtree school before going in to school it went through somebodies front window and broke it. I was really upset because the women was shouting at me, Mr Liggins came out and put his arm round me and said "never mind pat worse things happen at sea" strange how things stick in your mind (for me anyway) lol

I'm not sure if this is relevent but Mum took me to Vicarage Road School for my first day of school and Miss Becket, the headmistress, said, 'My he does have a lot of pimples Mrs Weaver'. 'Yes', said I, 'And so have you, but yours have got whiskers on'. Mum never got over that one and just before she died reminded of it all those years later. That was before the war because I was born in 1933. Makes me cringe to think about it even now. Sorry Miss Becket I grew to love you very much. Kind regards to all, David.
Jean, She used to say smell the rose, (breath in,) blow the tea( breath out) And when I threw a ball at a lad that was annoying me just outside yewtree school before going in to school it went through somebodies front window and broke it. I was really upset because the women was shouting at me, Mr Liggins came out and put his arm round me and said "never mind pat worse things happen at sea" strange how things stick in your mind (for me anyway) lol

At one parents' evening, my mother was told, "David's hand goes one way and his pen goes the other."

My handwriting hasn't improved much over the years, so I guess she must have been right.

Thanks David, even the parrots down the paddock laughed at that one, and my dog shook her head in amazement. The humour is still firing on all cylinders though so don't worry about the hand writing. Regards, David.
At one parents' evening, my mother was told, "David's hand goes one way and his pen goes the other."

My handwriting hasn't improved much over the years, so I guess she must have been right.

I remember one of our teachers writing in my report, MATHS good, ENGLISH satisfactory, HISTORY good, SMOKING good. My mom was not impressed. All the best formula t.

Post #49 reminded me of my last year in Dennis Road School when our PT teacher 'Taffy' Jones gave me a zero on my rapport with the comment "very weak". I often wonder if he knew about my escapades in one of the toughest sports on this earth. In one of his lessons I badly dislocated my fingers and they went black, I showed him my hand and he told me to "rub it and it'll go away". His zero probably cost me first place in my last year at school; I finished 8th, Graham.

Hi Neville - I think I know the teacher you are referring to - He used to take Geography or History and used to walk behind you and bang books on top of your head -Possibly Fred Hare? The other teachers names I do remember were : Mr Redgreaves (Class Teacher), Miss Owen (Music), Mr Evans (Science), Miss Roberts.

i dont think my teacher ( mr beasley harry lucus shool ) knew i had a first name it was always o,beirnes go out the class

Hello Barbie, It all comes back to me now, Fred Hare taught science, it was Mr Mead who i was remembering.

i wonder if any on your post are still with us?

QUOTE=barbie;521977]Hi Neville - I think I know the teacher you are referring to - He used to take Geography or History and used to walk behind you and bang books on top of your head -Possibly Fred Hare? The other teachers names I do remember were : Mr Redgreaves (Class Teacher), Miss Owen (Music), Mr Evans (Science), Miss Roberts.[/QUOTE]

Back