• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Sampson, Yardley Green Road

sistersue61

master brummie
I'm sure this pub has probably been mentioned but I can't see it, does anyone recall it and is it still standing/open?
Dads dad used to drink there with who we now think was dads grandad (his dads father-in-law) that would have been in the 1950's
Thanks, Sue

Hi Sue, I used to drink in there myself years ago. I think its still open, not too sure as I have'nt been that way for a while. Here is a street view of it.

Terry

Attachments

• sampson.jpg
    sampson.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 58
Yes the last time I past that way there were banners hanging outside proclaiming the opening of some kind of Islamic community centre. My thoughts are better any use rather than demolish the building. We have lost far too many beautiful old pub buildings recently because of the over eagerness to demolish them, those of course that didn't mysteriously burn down with the seemingly obligatory fire that strikes all buildings when their future seems to be in doubt.

Attachments

• Bordesley Green Sampson & Lion Yardley Rd.JPG
    Bordesley Green Sampson & Lion Yardley Rd.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 26
Thanks all of you, will pass the news on to dad, it was a sudden recollection he had about his family, he will be pleased it is still standing, and will continue to do so.
Sue

I see from the newer, more recent photo that the clock is still intact on the building. That is a VERY old clock. I lived in the terrace houses across from the Sampson on Yardley Green Road. I'll see if I can find a VERY old photo of the road (back then when it was taken, it was called Yardley Road) and post it here on this thread. Give me a day or so to find it. :friendly_wink:

Here is the old photo I promised, it took me ages to find where I'd put it safe ;-)
You'll see the Sampson Public House furthest from the camera to the right. A small photo I know but there is that old clock, it was a landmark, and hopefully will remain so. The photo is taken from the Green Lane/ Hobmoor Road corner and shows the Primitive Methodist Church in Blake Lane, which was rebuilt facing onto Yardley Green Road. We got married at the renamed Small Heath Methodist Church there 40 years ago next month.
Enjoy everyone. :pride:Yardley Green Road Bham001.jpg

Attachments

• Yardley Green Road Bham001.jpg
    Yardley Green Road Bham001.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Looks a bit different around there then, Can still make out the clock in the back of the picture

Back