• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Sacks Of Potatoes, Gosta Green

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
The Sacks of Potatoes, Gosta Green (apologies for the error in the title).
24862633_2026115070738128_8262795845545544050_n.jpg

hi barr beacon what a smashing photo...cant say as i have seen that one before...great that the pub is still there but its a shame to see how dull and dreary the area is now...i have edited the thread title for you

lyn

Thanks for that Astoness! Am I right in thinking that building to the left of the pub was the old BBC studios in Birmingham at some point in it's history before Pebble Mill was built?

hi BB the building to the left of the pub looks more like a picture house to me...

lyn

Astoness, did a bit of investigating and found this.

https://www.brumpic.com/new-blog/

It was once the old Delicia cinema. Later it later became a venue for wrestling, and then became home to the BBC Midlands TV studios where the BBC broadcast plays before it relocated to BBC Pebble Mill. Aston University purchased the building in 1971 and today (2013) it houses the European Bioenergy Research Institute (EBRI).

Some really big stars appeared here in BBC television productions. The only reason I thought about this was that as a child, my mom used to take me to Woodcock Street swimming baths and we would cut through Aston University (actually Aston University was a technical college then in the early 60s) and I remembered the BBC logo.

1959-old-Delicia-Picture-House-GH_web.jpg

well BB you learn something every day thanks.......part of the info says and today (2013) it houses the European Bioenergy Research Institute (EBRI).

i think the building has been demolished now ??

lyn

WOW i cant see that from street view....i would like to get a closer look at that to see just how much of the building has been retained...not that i am complaining which makes a change:D lovely to see ...its made my day

lyn

I think Aston would take exception to being called "just a technical college". They were a polytehnic in the early 1960s.

Brace yourself, Lyn...

EBRI-building-1-4-Copy.jpg

I remember going to Gosta Green, maybe early 1960s, to watch the great Joe Davis play an snooker match. It may have been shown on BBC at the beginning of the Pot Black programmes.

A coincidence is that looking about Woodcock Street Baths, comes up with...

“One of Woodcock Street’s most notable non-swimming events occurred in February 1936 when a session of a snooker match between world champion Joe Davis and the Australian superstar Walter Lindrum attracted a then world record attendance of approximately 1,100.”

https://www.friendsofmrb.co.uk/tag/gosta-green/

Birmingham’s Polytechnic had Art & Design faculty which I think opened some time in the mid 1960s...

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...of-art-design-biad-gosta-green-history.42593/

As for the history of Aston University...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_University

In 1951, the Technical College was renamed the College of Technology, Birmingham and work began on the Main Building at Gosta Green. In 1956, it became the first elite designated College of Advanced Technology and underwent a major expansion. It moved into buildings that were constructed between 1949 and 1955 to a design by Ashley & Newman. Princess Margaret laid one of the first foundation stones at the base of the new building in 1951. In 1955, the College of Advanced Technology was opened by Her Majesty The Queen. The college expanded again to a design by the City Architect of Birmingham Alwyn Sheppard Fidler between 1957 and 1965.
It officially became the University of Aston in Birmingham on receipt of its Royal Charter on 22 April 1966 and the first Chancellor of the University, Lord Nelson of Stafford, was installed on 10 May.

We had a discussion about the Sacks on the Gosta Green thread. I posted this c1880 image on that thread and we came to the conclusion that the current Sacks is most probably a re-build of the earlier pub. Viv.

image.jpeg

The Sacks of Potatoes has some history in potatoes. From at the least the 1860s a Mr Adams was trading in potatoes and at some point took on the Sacks of Potatoes pub (quite possibly wasn't called that before). Hard to say when exactly he became landlord but he certainly continued trading in potatoes while landlord. Viv.

Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811_080119_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_080119_Chrome.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230811_075533_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_075533_Chrome.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230811_074815_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_074815_Chrome.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230811_074156_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_074156_Chrome.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 4
The 1855 PO directory lists:
Adams Williain, beer retailner & potato dealer, 10 Gosta green
The 1849 directory does not list a no 10
The 1845 directory lists:
10 Dixon Thomas, academy
10 Dixon Mrs. Lucy, girls' school

Now curious to find out where the "Three Sacks of Potatoes" originated. An unusual name for a brewery/Inn. Viv

Gosta Green Arts Centre The building, originally a cinema, has had many lives, including being the BBC Midland televison studio
1692430822774.png
spuds in a sack
spuds in a sack.jpg

Using Pete's photo in post #22 has helped me to line up the buildings with this early view of Gosta Green

Yellow dot's and blue dot's make up the current Sacks of Potatoes. Is that correct ? Part of the large house (blue dot) seems to have gone with just a third of the house remaining to join up with next door (yelliow dot) to form (or enlarge ?) the Sacks of Potatoes next door. Viv.

Screenshot_20230819_084316_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230819_084255_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back