• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Rubber Shop in Smethwick

CaroleBr

proper brummie kid
Thought I would have a go at posting a photo or 2 of my mom and dad's shop in Smethwick High street.
It was formally a dress shop which moved to Great Barr, I am informed.
Anyway does anyone remember this shop?Lerens Rubber Co 1981.jpgLerens Rubber Co July 1974.jpgBefore Lerens Rubber Co.jpg

The first photo of the 3 was 1981, the 2nd when the shop was red was in July 1974 and I think the black and white photo would have been 1950 or so, could anyone have an idea of the approx date please?

The 1950 Kellys (which would refer to mid 1949-mid 1950) shows the shop as Mrs Ethel M.Voss , gowns. It is not listed in the 1955 Kellys, and in 1956 edition it is listed as Lerens Rubber (their spelling). In 1949 it is Mrs Jacqueline Voss, gowns. so if the M in "Ethel M voss " stanbs for Miriam, then you are probably about right for 1950.

If you zoom in on the young lady in the black and white photo she does not appear to have the hairstyle or clothes from the 1950's, notably the flared trousers look more early to mid 1970's and I don't think it would have been deemed acceptable for a shop assistant to dress so casually or indeed in trousers at the earlier date. Conversely the window display style or the clothes on view do not seem very 1970's

If you zoom in on the young lady in the black and white photo she does not appear to have the hairstyle or clothes from the 1950's, notably the flared trousers look more early to mid 1970's and I don't think it would have been deemed acceptable for a shop assistant to dress so casually or indeed in trousers at the earlier date. Conversely the window display style or the clothes on view do not seem very 1970's

Yes, Paul of course you're right, but I am only going on what my memory can recall from being told from my parents, I was born in 1961, and I think my parents already owned that shop then......

The 1950 Kellys (which would refer to mid 1949-mid 1950) shows the shop as Mrs Ethel M.Voss , gowns. It is not listed in the 1955 Kellys, and in 1956 edition it is listed as Lerens Rubber (their spelling). In 1949 it is Mrs Jacqueline Voss, gowns. so if the M in "Ethel M voss " stanbs for Miriam, then you are probably about right for 1950.
Thank you Mikejee, I have read this posts out of order. The name Lerens, was generated from a mix of both my parents' surnames before they were married!

Hi Carole,
I don't remember your shop but my two aunts used to have a sweetshop opposite the Red Cow, I think they moved around 1956-7, so we didn't go that way much after that.
rosie.

Paul, I don't agree that the lady in the black and white photo looks 1970's - I think her hairstyle is just a simple bob, but her hair is possibly naturally wavy so it would not look the same as a normal bob. I think the dresses certainly look very 1940's. Trousers in the 1940's and early 1950's were rather baggy in the leg, both for men and for women, but I agree it was not particulaly usual in the 1950's to find women wearing trousers. I have thought that this lady may have found trousers easier in her job, or perhaps she even rode a bike to work? My mother used to cycle to work in the 1940's and she wore trousers too for work, but I don't remember her wearing them in the house during the 1950's.

I have just scanned a photo of my parents original shop which I think was in Messenger Road, which was then High park road, I think! Perhaps someone could confirm please :)
This was before my time, and that's my mom in the window !
s.jpg

In 1949 & 1950 Kellys gives:
Lerens Rubber Co , rubber goods manufacturers 5 Corporation St

In 1949 & 1950 Kellys gives:
Lerens Rubber Co , rubber goods manufacturers 5 Corporation St
Many thanks, as far as i am aware there were never premises in Bham city centre, it may have been where the company was registered....? thanks so much for the informaiton you provide, its really interesting :)

Looking in the streets section of kellys, no 5 was victoria buildings, which is largely a long series of offices of various sorts, so, as you say, it was probably the registered office above one of the shops

Back