• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Roundhouse

Although you can't see people sitting outside The Distillery from the other side of the main line, it looked quite busy last Friday afternoon with a large screen showing the cricket.

Attachments

• IMG_6680a.jpg
    IMG_6680a.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6905.JPG
    IMG_6905.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6903a.jpg
    IMG_6903a.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 17
I have moved the last two posts to this thread. Thanks for posting.

John - be interested to see the photos. Thanks. Viv.

Visited The Roundhouse for the first time yesterday for a workshop as part of Birmingham Literary Festival. Jonathans is now closed permanently. The NationalTrust and the Canal and River Trust have offices. The Distillery were showing the Rugby. There is an interpretation centre giving some of the history the building and an atmospheric interpretation of a horse stable with tack, horse shoes and audio.

Plenty of leaflets with audio tours of Ladywood. Stones from Rowley Regis featured in the narrative and night soil which might account for the forgotten history of the building. I imagine that the area would have had a powerful stench, apparently the human waste was transported by canal to Acocks Green where it was dumped. Lamplighters were also based at the Roundhouse.

I hope that some venture will take over the disused Jonathans premises. Kayaking on the canal was in operation. Certainly an interesting area to explore. Stout boots recommended for the extensive cobblestones.

Last edited:
Visited The Roundhouse for the first time yesterday for a workshop as part of Birmingham Literary Festival. Jonathans is now closed permanently. The NationalTrust and the Canal and River Trust have offices. The Distillery were showing the Rugby. There is an interpretation centre giving some of the history the building and an atmospheric interpretation of a horse stable with tack, horse shoes and audio.

Plenty of leaflets with audio tours of Ladywood. Stones from Rowley Regis featured in the narrative and night soil which might account for the forgotten history of the building. I imagine that the area would have had a powerful stench, apparently the human waste was transported by canal to Acocks Green where it was dumped. Lamplighters were also based at the Roundhouse.

I hope that some venture will take over the disused Jonathans premises. Kayaking on the canal was in operation. Certainly an interesting area to explore. Stout boots recommended for the extensive cobblestones.

Derek, I noticed on the map a Chinese Quarter, when was that established? I never remember that and we used to go for Chinese and Indian foods. Thank you!

I think definitely after 1981, when I left Birmingham. Had never heard of the Chinese quarter before then

Started to Chinese theme in the 50's developed into the Chinese quarter by the 1980's I think.
I agree with your timing, Janet. https://secretbirmingham.com/birmingham-chinatown/
But prior to the 1980s you definitely had to seek out the the food. Chung Ying opened 1981. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Quarter,_Birmingham
Earlier the establishments catered to the Hong Kong Chinese community rather than the general public, but now there is a big Chinese New Year festival with dragons. https://chinatownology.com/chinatown_birmingham.html

Derek

Last edited:
With reference to The Roundhouse, a relative recently had a guided tour when it was mentioned that someone had been killed there during its construction. It may have been an ancestor of our family. Dooes anyone know the man's name please?

Back