• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Rose Inn, 152 St. Vincent Street & 80 Sherborne Street, Birmingham

Martin Reed

Brummie babby
Hello everyone. I would like to find more details about "The Rose Inn", a public house managed by my great-grandfather ALBERT STARKEY. I understand it has been demolished but would like to find any photographs or documents relating to the pub. Many thanks in anticipation for any help you can give. MARTIN REED.

Amazing. Great thanks very much. Do you know if I can get hold of any licensing details about the landlord that managed the pub during WW1? Do you know if records would be held at Birmingham Central Library?

Amazing. Great thanks very much. Do you know if I can get hold of any licensing details about the landlord that managed the pub during WW1? Do you know if records would be held at Birmingham Central Library?
As far as I know the library has no records for M&B. I have some material but not for WW1. For example, my records show that a 99-year lease was first signed on March 25th 1847. Not much help to you but interesting as it provides a fairly good estimate to the construction date. Under M&B the old beer house was managed not tenanted. My M&B records for publicans starts at 1931. So, I think you will have to rely on trade directories for a rough estimate for Albert Starkey's time at the pub. I will have a look for you.

In 1891 my great grand uncle Jesse Mealand and his wife Sarah were licencees of The Rose Tavern. Jesse died in 1899.

Back