• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Ritze Kings Heath

bobsummers

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Who remembers the Regan's Club at Kings Heath?
I used to go their in the early 60's and saw the Beatles, the Stones, and the Kinks.
Has anyone got any photos? & Memories?

There's a bit on the forum about the Ritz (history from the cinema with the entrance on high Street) and a few remebered moments. I grew up in Kings Heath and an array of the most notable 60's bands passed before my eyes. I remember at the time being surprised at who played round the corner.

I had a photo from Phil PmC1947 of the Ritz Dance Hall where spent my mid-teen years. Also added some photos of my old mates that went there around 1963

Who remembers the Regan's Club at Kings Heath?
I used to go their in the early 60's and saw the Beatles, the Stones, and the Kinks.
Has anyone got any photos? & Memories?

HI Bob,

Thought I'd share our forum's piece on the Ritz.

from Unsigned City
The Ritz Ballroom in Kings Heath featured
The Beatles on 15.02.1963 and Pink Floyd 16-12 1967
Bev Bevan, ex Move and ELO wrote:-
Former schoolteacher Mary Regan and husband
Joe's original ballroom venue was the
Gary Owen Club in Small Heath, not far from
Birmingham City's football ground, St Andrews.
Then came a converted snooker hall in York Road , Kings Heath
which they re-named the Ritz Ballroom.
Next came the Plaza in Handsworth, and finally the Plaza in Old Hill.

When 'Ma' Regan and Joe had the Gary Owen, in Wordsworth Rd. Small Heath, they called it 'The Brum Cavern'. I remember the compere was called 'Uncle Dennis' and he always wore a red flower in his button hole. We used to go to the Ritz and Plaza as well. And great bands at all three venues.

Ann

I went to the Ritz a few times. I smile when I think of the pretty strange dance moves we all used to do with such 'cool' in those days. The only big name band I remember seeing there is the Moody Blues - this sticks in my mind because I boasted for years about the fact that they stood next to me at the bar!

Back