• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Richmond pub on Richmond Rd.

N

nishja

Can anyone tell me what happened to the Richmond pub, Richmond Road, Yardley. It used to be my Dad's local (home from home) when I was a kid. Looking at the google map shows a wasteland. I don't know how old the map is so perhaps it's been re-developed now. I hope it's not just wasteland, that would be sad. Any info would be appreciated.

They didn't have to knock it down, it always was a health care place. I remember people raising their glass and saying 'to your health' all the time.
I haven't lived in Brum for, let's just say a feeeeeeeeew years. Why are they knocking all the pubs down ? Anyone know, are you all turning t-total, say it isn't so.

I was in the richmond pub celler with about 100 orther people when a bomb was landed in the back gardens and olso across the rd on a bicycle shop. Happy days. phil carr

Its not that all of the uk is turning t total, the supermarkets are making acohol so cheap to buy many people stay at home and have a few or lots. The pubs cant afford all of the bills and running costs if locals dont support them, the land that most pubs stand on is worth lots of money when 7-8 houses or umpteen appartments have been built and sold.
Its nice you have happy memories of Birmingham pubs, dont think they have all gone some pubs are thriving but they are having to change with the demand of what people want.
Is it cold in Canada? Its been a wee bit chilly here .
Adele

If you were to venture back onto Bordesley Green East these days, and try fining a pub to drink in you would certainly struggle. From by the Blues ground, think it’s the Wagon and Horses, the next pub that’s open is the White Hart the bottom of Cooks Lane!

Hi guys, Yes it is cold over here, very cold some days. Sad to hear about the pubs, I plan on being in Bordesley Green East in May and I am sure it won't be just pub that are missing. We had our Coronation Party on the parking lot of the Richmond, yours truly was 10, not old enough to go inside but I remember the nice garden they had at the back. My dad would bring me out a Shandy, even in the early days I was a 'boozer' that's my story, and a bag of Smith's crisps, what could be better for lunch. I didn't remember the bicycle shop, what year was that philcarr, I remember the off licence, the butcher shop the grocery and green grocer and the pharmacy, sorry chemist, also a sweet shop you could get great stuff for 3d. The fish and chip shop opposite the bus terminal. I can't wait to see what it all looks like now.

All I remember of The Richmond is occasionally calling in for a quick drink when we got off the bus outside there on our way the the Saturday Night dance upstairs at the Blakesley in the 60's.

Phil

BordesleyGreenEastTheRichmond.jpg

All I remember of The Richmond is occasionally calling in for a quick drink when we got off the bus outside there on our way the the Saturday Night dance upstairs at the Blakesley in the 60's.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Remember it well,- my mother in law Ivy Watson was a barmaid there
in the 60s, the landlord was Sid Vernon, - I wonder if you remember his
Airedale dog.

Kind regards

Dave

Thanks for the pics guys, they bought tears to my eyes, I know, dorky, I can't believe they tore down that great building. Well it seems beautiful to me. My Grandad used to live in Acocks Green dwilly, is the Baldwin still there or has it bit the dust also? at least I think it was called that, anyone????

Nishja, I remember the Richmond from when I was in my early teens and we used to go to a dance at the Y.W.C.A. on the diagonal corner facing the Richmond.

We used to ask for a pass-out from the dance so that we could go over the road to the pub for a drink, and then back to the dance to find a girl we could walk home with.

I haven't been to that area for many a year, but I'm not surprise to hear that it's gone just like so many other pubs which were local landmarks. If ever anyone ask you for directions in B'ham you always replied the directions to the various pubs on that route. Cannot do that nowadays.
pegginnes

Dennis smashing Photos thanks for sharing them with us:) Mau-reece

Thanks Moss, you are welcome. What a nice bunch you are. I have been researching Brum History for yonks and only found this site from my Uncle Les Hutton last night. The Richmond bomb that killed the family at 76 Richmond Rd a year before I was born, also inadvertantly provided a unique playground for us local kids. One bomb also fell smack in the middle of the Bowling Green next door, and when the crater filled with rainwater as the years passed, it allowed us kids to play Pirates using knocked down fence panels as Rafts. Health & Safety..? Go figure.

I also found a link to the Air Raid site from lencops in another thread, and found the details and date of the tragedy, which had singularly evaded me all this time. What a find!

And talk about coincidence, happenstance and serendippity - the same Les Hutton, several years before marrying my Aunt Betty, was one of the first on the scene when the bomb dropped. He told me this tale only yesterday!

Yes I remember the Richmond House and the dead girl as if it were yesterday, Harry and I were returning from a night out. Starting from the Nottingham Herb Beer shop in Digbeth where we had a herb beer or two then a call at the Fish & Chip shop by the blues ground, then more chips from the fish shop by Victoria St, then more chips opposite the Era Picture house, then more chips at the Broadway shops then last of all our last chips for the night at the Stechford Tram sheds, We in those days considered that to be a good night out. We used to walk about during the raids as long as they were not too bad. We had eaten our chips when we heard the blast that hit the Richmond Rd house. Harry and I had our Gas masks and steel helmets, We always carried them whenever we went out to be on the safe side. We were just behold the old Tram sheds when the bomb hit the house, so harry and I dashed around and found the house surrounded in dust, the front of the house was blown apart and we both searched for the occupants . There was a Settee in the front room which was turned over, and harry lifted it up and found the body of a young girl underneath it dead, The girl looked around 12 to me.

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/images/attach/jpg.gif

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/images/attach/jpg.gif

Last edited:
hi dave
do you have any pictures of sid vernon as my grand parents drank there my mom and dad and we have tried to find pictures of the good old days in the richmond i would be so chuffed if you did
karen

The Baldwin.Bit the Dust i went passed last week all boarded up ready to be Demolished.
walt00

Hi Dave,
Do you know what happened to Sid Vernon and have you got any pictures you could send me or post please. My mom and dad used to drink in there as well and lived on the Bordesdley Green East. Jim Shale, Dorothy Shale, now Baldwin and Ron Baldwin. Also my aunt's Floss & Eadie who lived in Upton road.[
Kind Regards
Karen

hi there
for those whom do not know the balwin is now what they call the hungry horse resturant ; whom do does grt food ;
well at least the hunters moon one that changed to hungry horse resturant i know from experieence of eating there ;
but getting back to the balwin yes it as now become the hungry horse ; but still kept its door staff to keep out the unwanted clients that the balwin had
yes the richmond is a health centre the masonic hall across the rd where you went dancing is now an asian commutity ; along with all those shops that use to be across the rd are asian propertiers kebag and pita soccupied the old chippie
the last licence to have the richmond was an old friend she use to keep the old coach and horse pub on the corner o mosely rd and edward rd
they brought her down from there to clean up the richmond pub and sold the coach of many years ago;
my late brother inlaw dave used to do the pub auctions there every week ; the whole are as gone and changed you would not reconise it
and on the subject of pubs and clubs i went to the centurianpub kings hurst yesterday and it was a disgrace never again its well past its sell by date ;
the bromsgroe labour club was bought by some one most of us know he tried to turn it around but failed and now sold to the hungry horse pub resturants
brigade but loking at the whole of bromsgrove its a mistake as its more or less an estate pub ;and family estates so in my eyes i do not think they will survive ;
when the bromsgrove club was sold and changed hands it was made public and the clientele was terible with people making the place run down and smelled
where people releived them selves out side the front doors it was a horrible place to go for a drink plentuy of enterainment but the decent people and there familys stopped going for the reasons of the wrong clientle of druggies and rift raff ;
best wishes astonian;;

Hi Karen,

I've just asked my missus, and she says that Sid must have died in 1964 or 1965
whilst still managing the Richmond, and his wife carried on for a short time after.
She is basing this on her mother Ivy leaving the Richmond in 1962 when her cousin
was born, and Sid dying 2 or 3 years afterwards.

I wonder if you remember my wife and her sister, Sheila and Shirley, the Watson
twins from Wash Lane?

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Dave, what age is your wife? My dad was born in Wash Lane and his parents lived there for a while, dad id Peter Payne his parents were Andrew and Lilian
Sue

Hi Dave,
Thanks for that, I will ask my mom (Dorothy Shale) and my dad( Ron Baldwin) about your wife and sister (The Watson Twins) Can you remember did Sid have one son or two? Do you also remember Frank & Ada Barrett and Rose Williams who used to go in there. I'm still trying to get hold of some more pictures, I did see a couple on here a while back of the bowling club and some of the Richmond folk. Unfortunately I think they have been deleted by those time wasters who have got nothing better to do than cause mischief.My mom and dad had lots of old photos at some time but now they can't remember where they have put them?
Kind Regards
Karen

Hi Karen,

Sheila can't remember Frank and Ada, but she does remember Rosie Williams who she says
was a barmaid at the Richmond, and thinks she used to live opposite the Ritz. Sid Vernon
had two sons and a daughter. Sheila thinks the daughter was called Mary. She can't remember the
name of the older son, but the younger one was called Ronnie. That reminded me that my mum
taught Ronnie the piano.

Kind regards

Dave

Back