• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ragged School Penn St.

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
Came across this on a thread posted by a new member on the back of an old football photo.this has interested me as I have not heard of it before. has anyone any knowledge of this school? Dek

Good evening, Dek,
I was fascinated too by this name. There is a thread on the Forum entitled "Penn Street Industrial School". If you go to Post #2, Alberta wrote "industrial schools were for children who were destitute or who it was thought might be in the company of people who were a bad influence,not having committed a crime but likely to do so if not taught the evil of their ways and kept busy.It was to try to help them keep out of Reform school".
Do you think this fits the bill?
Hoping you're well, David

Thanks David I,m fine, Yes this is it i,m sureI have done a little googling and found some info maybe Mikegee can do a little browsing on his maps and come up with a location the school closed in 1902 and relocated at Witton Hall Industrial School where was this I wonder this Is another place I have not heard of. Dek

I know there was an industrial school in Gem Street I found a distant relative there in 1881.

• PENN STREET INDUSTRIAL AND RAGGED SCHOOL, DERITEND, BIRMINGHAM, WARWICKSHIRE.
  • PENN STREET INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL FOR BOYS, DERITEND, BIRMINGHAM, WARWICKSHIRE.
  • BIRMINGHAM INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL, WITTON HALL, WITTON NR. BIRMINGHAM, WARWICKSHIRE
  • WITTON HALL INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL, WITTON, BIRMINGHAM, WARWICKSHIRE.
Certified 30th January 1863 for 60 boys at Penn Street. Re-certified 13th June 1902 for 80 boys on removal to Witton. The school closed 14th June, 1905.
Founded as a Ragged School and formed in 2 or 3 cottages.
1866 - Mr Nightingale
1867 - Master and Matron, Mr & Mrs May; schoolmaster Mr Nightingale.
1868 - Superintendent Mr May and his wife; Mr Nightingale; Miss Nightingale.
1869 - Mr & Mrs Shaw; schoolmaster Mr Nightingale. "Mr & Mrs May left their situations as superintendent and matron of this school at Michaelmas, having been chosen by the Committee of the Gem Street school to take the management of that institution".
1872 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Millar; schoolmaster Mr Nightingale.
1884 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Francis; schoolmaster Mr Ruthers.
1891 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Henry Francis; schoolmaster Mr Ruthers.
1893 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Henry Francis; schoolmaster Mr Ruthers.
1900 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs E.A. Francis; schoolmaster Mr A. Miller; assistant teacher Mr Harris was appointed and commenced his duties on 7th May.
1903 - Superintendent and matron Mr G.A. Francis; schoolmaster Mr A. Miller; assistant schoolmaster Mr A. Hughes; carpenter Mr Barnes

It does confuse things a bit in that i didn't realise that there were two Penn streets. Anyway the Penn St industrial school had entrances in Penn St & Allcock St
and is shown on the c1889 map below. Nowadays the Penn st side is all back entrances, with no indication as to what is there, but i notice that the position in Allcock St is now occupied by the St Basil Prevention centre, which is an organization to help homeless kids. don't know if that is a coincidence.

PennStIndustrialSchoolmapc1889.jpg

Back