• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Queens Hotel Aston

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Pub Crawlers
do any of you recall a pub called the queens hotel
it was always a lively pub with nice people and no rowdys ever in it
i used to drink brown and mild in them days with a cracking big cheese and onion sandwich with pickle in the smoke
it was on the corner of church lane / queens rd aston around 196o.s
and years before that there was a lady whom used to make trays of toffee apples for a tanner from her house she used to stick them in her bay window
best wishes astonian ;;

Astonian, Yes I rememberthe Queens Hotel, known by the locals as the "top Queens" because there was another pub further down Queens Rd adjoining Atkinsons Brewery also called the Queens. I went about with the landladys son David Hill. The landladys name was Stella and she converted two bedrooms into some club called Stellas Continental Bar consequently when they had overnight visitors, David had to sleep on the billiard Table, this was in the late 1940s onwards, he also had a sister who I took a shine to but I went into the RAF in '48 so that put paid to that. Oh and the Father raced greyhounds. Eric
PS someone put a pic on of Stellas Bar on a thread called Church Road Aston

hi eric
many thanks for your reply on the thread and also telling me about a thread of stella,s bar ,which i have never seen on the forum i will do a run on that ,
[ thanks again eric for telling me ] and i most certainly remember theother tackie
queens down the rd next to ackies brews i used to watch te cooper men
making the barrells me andmy best mate colin gaskin,[ i would love to know whether he is still alive today we both joined the forces the same day he went into the tank regiment just like is father was i went into the warick fusuliars
he had a couple of sisters one was sandra ,gaskin and they all went to work at the old hp sauce factory .and yes i recall the grey hounds ,but i am just tryingto recall
stella.s bar i will try and locate it to come back more to me when i get to see it
have a nice day eric best wishes astonian ;;

Astonian, you'll have my Gran turning in her grave calling the lower Queens tackie:D, she was well known in the 'snug' and I can remember many Sunday morning taking her big purple jug up to the 'lower' Queens outdoor and collecting 2 pints to have with their Sunday lunch, she lived at 84 Queens Rd until she died in the 1960s

Last edited:
Eric, my late mother-in-law used to drink in the passageway, I don't know whether it was the Snug, with a number of other "old" women, I bet she knew your gran.

hi cookie
please don,t take it to heart when i said it was tackie i remember her as
nice lady and it was only a figure of speech but i have to say the cheese sarnies was cracking and the people i was involved in decided to spend more time there
and as you know some places appeal to more than others to one ,s self
have a nice day cookie best wishes astonian ;;;;

Astonian, No I was joking, now the pub my Dad and I used WAS tackie, that ws the Grovener in Grovener Rd, bottom of Queens Rd run by Jimmy Leach an ex Villa player, buy him a drink and he would show you his FA Cup medal. What a dump !!! Eric

hi cookie
yes its okay i know what you meant i did,nt think for one moment you took it to heart yes i remember the grove ; i used it my self during my shift work i used to work at j,v murcotts the aluminuim die caster down on grovenor rd
i would only had a pint or two before heading home back to upper thomas st
a

fter completeing the 6-2 shift i could have gone to the swan on victoria rd but by the time i got up thereit would have been to late leachie could never serve or keep a good pint at his pub ,i spent a fair bit of time in the oak years ago up at sixways
long before they redeveloped the six ways they was the cracking days i think
still not to worry i live in worcester now and its a different world down here
and its a slow pace of life and certainly a lovely envoironment best wishes

Astonian, I worked at the GEC in Deykin Avenue when I left Aston Hall Rd school in 1944 in the drawing office, bored out of my mind, so joined the RAF in 1948, I had a friend who worked at Murcotts, forgot his name but lost touch with him when I went in the RAF. Re pubs, another one my Dad and I went to, when, I was on leave was the Brit by Aston station, can't remember much about that one , ring a bell ???
Eric

hi cookie
yes you are bang on my son .before i down loaded that last thread to you
as i was tapping away on the key i was trying to think of it
the britania thats what i was hoping to relay to you but for the love nor money i just could not think of the name well yes thats a pub that became later on in years
during the fifty,s started to decline you had to become a spiv or a mobster to freqent that pub beleive me you didnt want to go near it it was a rough pub thats all i am going to say on it other wise i might get myself in troublei do beleive that pub is
still there by the station today and i know alot of the old guys from
there used the wind mill pub at dudley oppersite the city hospital
would you remmber stan kirby he used to run it at one time many many years ago
he was a great guy but thanks again for refreshing me of the brit;
i used to have a younger brother whom used to live across te rd from there he lived above the butchers then he moved to chelmsley wood one of the first inhabbintants
all the best astonian ;;;;

HI ERIC
I MOST CERTAINLY DO I WAS CHRISTENED THERE AND I SANG IN THE CHURCH CHOIR FOR DONKEY YEARSTHERE AT ASTON PARISH AND I HAVE STOOD ON PARADE MANY A TIMES OUT SIDE ON REMEMBERANCE SUDAYS IN UNIFORM
AND I HAVE BEEN ON THE SEARCH FOR THE SECRET TUNNEL UNDER AND THROUGH THE GROUND BACK UP TO THE ASTON HALL ALL MY FAMILY GOT MARRID THERE AS WELL EVEN MY AUNT MAUD WAY BACK AND I WAS A PAGE BOY AT HER WEDDING
I GOT PAYED TWO HALF CROWNS FOR SINGING AT THE CHURCH ON SUNDAY MORNINGAND OF THE SUNDAY EVENING FIVE BOB WE CALLED IT
BUT THE OLD MAN USED TO TAKE IT OFF US FOR YOU KNOW WHAT
YES THATS RIGHT I PINT .
ASTONIAN ;;;i

Stitcher, the Queens Hotel the thread is referring to is (or should I say was) the pub that stood in Queens Rd Aston and was demolished in the fifties. I was born in that road in 1930 and knew the pub well. Eric

Back