• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Pleck, Park Road, Hockley

hi carolyn would you like me to send you a private message giving you my email address then if you could email me the photos you have i will happily post them on this thread for you

lyn

Hi, I have replied earlier but being new to this technology!i don't know if you got my reply so sorry if I'm repeating.I lived at number 5 the Pleck from 1947 till I married in 1970.My family had always lived down the Pleck,there used to be row of cottages further down all empty when i was a child we used to play in and around them till we got caught!A scrap yard bought all the land where the cottages were called Fords Scrap yard.All the houses were demolished many years ago now and offices and other buildings are there,my friend and myself drove round there some years back,it's unrecognisable,if it wasn't for the railway bridge which was just before the Pleck we would have been lost. I have photos of there from when I was young, I wouldn't know how to send but when my son comes down i will see if he can do it for me.Happy days and happy memories.Carolyn

hi carolyn dont worry you are doing fine and thanks for your lovely memories of the pleck....i have just sent you a private message giving you my email address so that you can email me your photos...if you cant manage it i am sure that you son will be able to help you..old photos are most important they can trigger off all sorts of memories... as you can see post 16 showing an overhead photo of the pleck site confirms that the site was taken over by scrap waste company..can be sad when we go back to visit our childhood areas but one thing they cant take from us is our memories

lyn

Last edited:
Hi, I have replied earlier but being new to this technology!i don't know if you got my reply so sorry if I'm repeating.I lived at number 5 the Pleck from 1947 till I married in 1970.My family had always lived down the Pleck,there used to be row of cottages further down all empty when i was a child we used to play in and around them till we got caught!A scrap yard bought all the land where the cottages were called Fords Scrap yard.All the houses were demolished many years ago now and offices and other buildings are there,my friend and myself drove round there some years back,it's unrecognisable,if it wasn't for the railway bridge which was just before the Pleck we would have been lost. I have photos of there from when I was young, I wouldn't know how to send but when my son comes down i will see if he can do it for me.Happy days and happy memories.Carolyn
Thank you for this, would be amazing if you are able to get some images across. Up until putting my post up and all the helpful people here we had no idea what or where it was on Park Road.

hi dory i sent carolyn a private message last tues offering to help her post the photos she has..so far she has not been back on the forum but hopefully she will be back soon and read my message

lyn

The Pleck was an unadopted road but I would have thought would be on an ordananace servey map.
If you go back on this thread Mike has posted several old maps which show The Pleck. In particular posts 7 and 11.

click here

We have since now found that after my grandad and his parents left The Pleck, the next occupier at number 25 was in fact his mom’s sister and her husband!

Back