• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Pleck, Park Road, Hockley

dory5fish

Brummie babby
A long shot but has anyone got any photos and/or maps of The Pleck, Park Road, Hockley. I have found that my grandad was born there in 1919 and think left in August 1920. We have google searched and found Park Road but nothing particular for The Pleck. Any information at all would be good as I don’t know if I am looking for a house, area off Park Road or something else?
TIA

hi and welcome...can i ask how you know the address of where your grandad was born..ie do you have his birth cert..if so is there any house number on it...reason i ask is a pleck is a small piece of waste ground or enclosure such as the ground where travelling folk would park their caravans...any extra info you can supply may help us..i think if memory serves me right there was such a piece of land for travellers near to park road hockley..just a thought

lyn

right dory so it was 25 the pleck park road hockley...i think we may need one of our map experts to help with this possibly we need the 1889 map...hopefully someone will spot this post and be able to assist

lyn

Below is a map c1955 showing The
Pleck in red, and present view up what was The
Pleck

map c19555 The Pleck, Park Road.jpg

I posted map before seeing your mention of the number. No 25 is the house right at the top of the road at the end of the block of three, with no number on it

Thank you so much, that is fantastic and really helps. We had no idea where to look and struggled to find anything. Thanks again.

great map mike do you have an earlier one than 1955...cant quite make out the number of house by itself on the pleck ground even after zooming in closer but if the one with no number is 25 the one next to it looks like 23 and then at the end 27...odd way of numbering i thought

lyn

Lyn
Gave large map initially to make clear to Dory5fish where it was. Here is closeup. of the c1955 map together with c1889 and c1918 maps. Looks like they originally expected there were to be many houses which were never built and peculiarly they are numbered odd numbers in lower terrace, but consecutively for the earlier houses at the end.

map c1955 no 25 The Pleck Park road.jpgmap  c1889 showing what is later no 25 The Pleck.jpgmap c1918 showing 25 The Pleck.jpg

dory if you go to the park road hockley thread there are quite a few old photos before demo but alas none of the pleck houses

lyn

We did have a look at some photos, but we had no idea where abouts on Park Road it was. I have shown these to my mom and she is delighted too.

Lyn
The link I gave in post 7 took you to streetview, and you could have come out into google maps and it would have given you the position

A long shot but has anyone got any photos and/or maps of The Pleck, Park Road, Hockley. I have found that my grandad was born there in 1919 and think left in August 1920. We have google searched and found Park Road but nothing particular for The Pleck. Any information at all would be good as I don’t know if I am looking for a house, area off Park Road or something else?
TIA
Hi, I lived at number 5 The Pleck park Road from when I was born in 1947 till 1970 We
TIA
TIA
I lived at number 5 The Pleck from 1947. To 1970,I have photos but am knew to iPads
TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
hi carolyn would you like me to send you a private message giving you my email address then if you could email me the photos you have i will happily post them on this thread for you

lyn

Hi, I have replied earlier but being new to this technology!i don't know if you got my reply so sorry if I'm repeating.I lived at number 5 the Pleck from 1947 till I married in 1970.My family had always lived down the Pleck,there used to be row of cottages further down all empty when i was a child we used to play in and around them till we got caught!A scrap yard bought all the land where the cottages were called Fords Scrap yard.All the houses were demolished many years ago now and offices and other buildings are there,my friend and myself drove round there some years back,it's unrecognisable,if it wasn't for the railway bridge which was just before the Pleck we would have been lost. I have photos of there from when I was young, I wouldn't know how to send but when my son comes down i will see if he can do it for me.Happy days and happy memories.Carolyn

hi carolyn dont worry you are doing fine and thanks for your lovely memories of the pleck....i have just sent you a private message giving you my email address so that you can email me your photos...if you cant manage it i am sure that you son will be able to help you..old photos are most important they can trigger off all sorts of memories... as you can see post 16 showing an overhead photo of the pleck site confirms that the site was taken over by scrap waste company..can be sad when we go back to visit our childhood areas but one thing they cant take from us is our memories

lyn

Last edited:
Hi, I have replied earlier but being new to this technology!i don't know if you got my reply so sorry if I'm repeating.I lived at number 5 the Pleck from 1947 till I married in 1970.My family had always lived down the Pleck,there used to be row of cottages further down all empty when i was a child we used to play in and around them till we got caught!A scrap yard bought all the land where the cottages were called Fords Scrap yard.All the houses were demolished many years ago now and offices and other buildings are there,my friend and myself drove round there some years back,it's unrecognisable,if it wasn't for the railway bridge which was just before the Pleck we would have been lost. I have photos of there from when I was young, I wouldn't know how to send but when my son comes down i will see if he can do it for me.Happy days and happy memories.Carolyn
Thank you for this, would be amazing if you are able to get some images across. Up until putting my post up and all the helpful people here we had no idea what or where it was on Park Road.

hi dory i sent carolyn a private message last tues offering to help her post the photos she has..so far she has not been back on the forum but hopefully she will be back soon and read my message

lyn

The Pleck was an unadopted road but I would have thought would be on an ordananace servey map.
If you go back on this thread Mike has posted several old maps which show The Pleck. In particular posts 7 and 11.

click here

We have since now found that after my grandad and his parents left The Pleck, the next occupier at number 25 was in fact his mom’s sister and her husband!

Back