• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Pilot Inn? Pub In Northumberland Street, Birmingham?

matinedmum

Brummie babby
I have recently discovered that my Great, Great, Great Grandparents were working at and possibly running a pub in Northumberland Street in Birmingham in 1911. They were George and Emma Gordon. There is no trace of a pub there today - does anyone know anything about this pub - the census lists it as something like 'The Pilot Inn'

I would be really grateful for any information/pictures. Thanks

It was The Pilot Inn. Your ancestors were probably one of the last landlords. George is listed as the licensee in the 1913 Kellys directory (which would refer to the year 1912). The pub was sold in May 1914, together with 8 houses for £100, it being stated in the prospectus that the licence to the pub was being discontinued.
There seems to be a bit of disagreement as to the street number of the pub. the census ( not the page listing the people but th etitle page before) looks like 23 possibly, the sale gives 25 and Kellys gives 24 ! I think it is 24 or 25 which I believe is one of the houses marked red or blue on the map below. I also attach sale details
Birm Gazette.30.5.1914.jpg map c 1915 northumberland road showing position of Pilot inn.jpg

Hi, thanks so much for this. I would never have been able to find all of this! Do you know why the licence might have been discontinued? Presumably George was then out of a job/home after the sale? Do you know where I am most likely to find a picture of the pub/road?
Thanks again - your help is really appreciated.

A lot of licences , especially for beerhouses, which I think this probably was, were cancelled about this time. I think the magistrates thought there were too many of them.
I am dubious if you will find one of the pub. Below is a photo taken a bit later, don't have date, but probably after 1930s, looking towards Vauxhall road end

Northumberland Street Nechells.jpg

At a guess I think those maybe water containers and bunkers for sand to deal with incendiary bombs. That would make the date during the WWII.
Cheers Tim.

yes time i agree and looking at the way the litte lad is dressed fits...

lyn

Hi,
Thanks to everyone for your help with this. I have also now noticed that it is sometimes referred to as The Pilot Tavern in some places too. Any further information/images on the local area and the pub would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

Just discovered that my grandfather's first wife, Maria Morgan, nee Woodley lived at The Pilot in 1901. She is listed as a barmaid, but her parents, Alfred and Harriett Woodley are not the publicans. Her aunt, Maria Littler is a 'manageress' but it doesn't state publican. My grandfather, Richard White was living at Edward Place, Northumberland Street, and he married Maria in November of that year.

Re photo #4. Think it must be at least 1940, if not 1950s. Not sure, but were there many telegraph poles in residential streets before that ? The boy looks like he’s in school uniform. That makes me think nearer the 1950s. Viv.

I have a photo that includes a Pilot Inn almost certainly in Birmingham. It would be interesting if I knew where it was. Probably taken about 1940.

Attachments

• IMG_4889 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4889 (1).jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
An aerial view from 1932 showing Pilot Inn (not certain which of the 2 buildings) on Northumberland Street.

Attachments

• pilot-inn-northumberland street.jpg
    pilot-inn-northumberland street.jpg
    983.5 KB · Views: 7
Definitely looks like it. There does not seem to be a Pilot inn mentioned in the Birmingham papers other than the one earlier described in the thread, and the two photos in post 12 seem to agree

Back