• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Pig Market, Bordesley Street

LaytonLily

knowlegable brummie
I have just discovered that a cousin of my father was born at The Pig Market, Bordesley Street in 1893. William Henry Fisher, parents James Arthur and Charlotte Fisher (nee Hunt) (just in case someone is related !) but how come they would give their address as living at the Pig Market ? On the 1891 census they are living 155 High Street, Kings Heath. The father's occupation was a butcher but on this birth certificate he is shown as Night Watchman. Maybe a Night Watchman at the Market ? But a big change in just 2 years. Seems strange to give the Pig Market as your home.

If the certificate says he was born there, it does not mean that was their address. I have also looked in directories and maps , but cannot find a pig market named in Bordesley st, though there was a cattle salesman (Batchellor & Southern) at 107-108, on the corner of New Canal St

just had a quick look at williams baptism record 1893 says father is a butcher and the address living at is bordesley st

lyn

Thanks for the replies. It does seem odd. Perhaps he was born in the Pig Market because Charlotte didn't have time to get home ! Thank you for checking baptism record. There wasn't a pub called Pig Market was there ?! Actually looking at birth cert. again it gives the Residence of Informant - who was Charlotte the mother - as the Pig Market.

Layton Lily
That is a very good point yoju made about a possible pub, which I should have thought of. However , there are 4 pubs listed in the 1892 Kellys. I have checked, and none of them is the Pig Market

Thank you. And nothing that is The P.. Market ? It is probably going to be one of those things whereby I am never going to know the answer ! Charlotte had another son in 1899 where the father was not the husband and she left home but that was between 1899 and 1901. It is the Night Watchman job I cannot understand ! James Arthur is Butcher on census, on other birth certs and on his death cert in 1911.
Charlotte's Hunt family had connections to the Butcher Hide, Skin Fat and Wool Co which I think was in Bradford Street. But although both streets probably within walking distance, they so not look close enough for it to be connected in any way.

Could it be that, because of illness or an accident, James was unable to perform as a butcher and was given the watchman's job because of this via connections in the trade?
In case it is of interest, the pubs in Bordesley St are:
27 Brewers Arms
45 Kings Arms
77 Minerva Tavern
118 Red Lion

Does not really relate to your question, but did not know if you had seen this from the Birmingham mail on 22.10.1890
Birm mail 22.10.1890.jpg

He died of chronic alcoholism and cirrhosis of the liver in 1911, occupation given as Butcher Retired. Address Bristol Road, Edgbaston, so back in his mother's house. Maybe the Night Watchman was a way of earning some money when he was no longer fit to be a butcher.

I hadn't seen the newspaper article - I bet that was him ! I have membership of BNA so will take a look for any more on him. Thank you.

The association held a banquet to celebrate the new market in december 1892, and it was later reported that they were coming to an agreement with the council in may 1894 However nothing more is heard of them and they do not appear in any directories . the site was between bordesley st,Allison st and meriden st going back to the railway so was a large part of the area of courts on the c1889 map. The building had apparently been built and the 1904 map does show a large building covering much of the area, though presumably it either was never used for that purpose or only for a very short period

Birm post,5,5,1894 pig dealers.jpgBirm post.15.12.1892 inaug birm pig saleslen assoc.jpgmap  c1889 showing position of proposed pig market site.jpg

Back