• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Pig Bin

I remember as a child in Weoley Caste that there was a Pig bin on Gregory Avenue at the bottom of our grove. Mum used to wrap peelings and scraps in newspaper and send me down to put in the bin. The bin lorry had sliding shutters on both sides and it went slowly along as a man on each side of the road emptied a bin. The photo is exactly as I remember themlorry.jpeg

In 1950's there was a pig bin half way down our grove on the council estate, you were suppose to put waste food in, much the same as you now do for recycling. Around bonfire night those same bins attracted Wilders 2d bangers, they would produce a most satisfying boom. In 1970's we lived in Hopwood which was renowned for the smell of the pig farm that swill fed its herd of pigs. Some of the incoming waste to the farm I understood came from aa slaughter house and was quite liquid and revolting. We kept a couple of pigs ourselves which were fed on a porridge made with waste from a local miller and goats milk, we also kept the goats. At the time of the foot and mouth outbreak 2001? we were heading for Europe and I recall there being a restriction on taking any meat thought the channel tunnel, we had ham sandwiches which we had to promise to eat before arriving in France.

Back