• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Penguin Club, Trinity Rd, Aston.

Clarendon_Colin

Hi, does anyone have any photos or recollections of The Penguin Club that was on Trinity Rd between the Villa Holte End and The Florida Suite ?
I can only remember the burned out shell it became before it was demolished and replaced by the Granada Bingo Club.
Thanks.

I seem to remember someone else asking the same question last year and I don't think anyone knew.

I remember the Penguin Club but only because I worked in the Inland Revenue office that dealt with the area where the club was, I never went there.

I only have some hearsay anecdotes from that time and one little tit-bit of an anecdote: I was just a kid of 14 years-old at the time working part-time in the Jewellery Quarter.

The club (I think) was financed by a well liked Greek Cypriot fella and his friends with no 'gangster' links by all accounts, though the club did have its fair share of ne'er-do-well guests.

The ribbon to the club was cut by singer/entertainer, Frankie Vaughn: he was also the main act for that night (or week). For his opening night troubles, Frankie Vaughn was presented with a solid silver penguin statuette created and cast in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter. The designer/creator of said statuette was a young female student at the Birmingham School of Jewellery. The name of the actual silversmith and the student designer/creator is lost to me though not before I held the statuette in my hand: it was nothing special to speak of.

The club was open less than a year, I recall from memory, before a (magical) fire engulfed the loss making business and the premises.

so if the club was only open for about a year before fire destroyed it what year would that be....would anyone know...cheers

lyn

Found this in the British Newspaper Records 7th January 1969 from the Birmingham Post!
Think you need to be signed in to get the full article.

granted to Mr. John Ernem. Kulkbrlaht, who us apply.rtg for • Justices Cluo certifloate for the Penguin Club planned for Trinity Road. Aston. In place of the bowline centre. The Penguin Club la to be a theatre supper club. Mace Isl hemmed premises In the city ...
Published: Tuesday 07 January 1969
Newspaper: Birmingham Daily Post
County: Warwickshire, England
Type: Article | Words: 331 | Page: 58 | Tags: none

so if the club was only open for about a year before fire destroyed it what year would that be....would anyone know...cheers

lyn
Lyn, it didnt burn down, Jonny went out of business, it was such a shame he was a really nice guy, and to quote himself "I should have spent money on business lessons and not elocution" Very sad .

thanks 60 footer i was only quoting post 3 about the fire...thanks for setting the record straight

lyn

I went there several times after it opened. I know Denis Lotus's manger insisted on taking the admission price on the door personally as he was concerned Denis would not be paid

From the Stage. The Club had only been open a matter of months before it ran into financial difficulties. There was a lounge with live penguins on show ! (Maybe that was just for the opening of the club ?) Viv.

D52689C4-F6FC-4E11-B473-996421A208FB.jpeg

Attachments

• C5FF331D-5170-44B2-B3FB-8A46BEB0564C.jpeg
    C5FF331D-5170-44B2-B3FB-8A46BEB0564C.jpeg
    578.4 KB · Views: 10
Back