• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Peace Centre

Maria Magenta

master brummie
It wasn't exactly a shop, though it sold various magazines and suchlike. Does any one remember it? It was behind M&S. It had a notice board for various organisations and good causes. This was in the late 1960s and 1970s - I don't know when it closed or vanished.

Peace Centre, forgot about that place.

Didnt the premises become Reddingtons, opposite Moor St Station ?

Peace Centre, forgot about that place.

Didnt the premises become Reddingtons, opposite Moor St Station ?

When I passed it a few years ago (I left B'ham in 1985) somehow the location, which was beneath street level in some way, seemed to have vanished.

I was a volunteer there in 1971/2.It was an information centre supporting organisations like CND,selling books and alternative mags like Street Press which was produced nr Warley Woods in Bishopton Rd and printed by the ArtsLab Press.It also supported local artists.It was an exciting place for discussion and ideas ,politics,religion and philosophy.Heady days.

I was a volunteer there in 1971/2.It was an information centre supporting organisations like CND,selling books and alternative mags like Street Press which was produced nr Warley Woods in Bishopton Rd and printed by the ArtsLab Press.It also supported local artists.It was an exciting place for discussion and ideas ,politics,religion and philosophy.Heady days.
Yes, heady days!

A mention of the Peace Centre from a Birmingham LGBT web page together with a not very clear photograph...

Peace Centre​

June 1969 to June 1985​

The Peace Centre was an alternative book shop on Moor Street Queensway, which stocked many left wing politcal publications along with enviromental books and gay and lesbian literature. It was also home to Birmingham Gay Liberation Front in the early 70s.

View attachment 173247
They look very seventies, don't they?

Back