• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The park down from cuckoo bridge

instruct

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone help with pictures of the park just down from cuckoo bridge back to where star city is now all i remember is that it had a big hill with a slide on it a zip line and a castle made up of blocks oh its startin to all come back

it was spine cob park mount st b7,i spent my child hood there,taking the blocks off the fort when the workman went home,next day he built it again.what a s**T I WAS THEN.then later in life become a park keeper looking after it,at weekends,happy times.

When I was a child in the 50,s it was known as the spy and cop,which i believe was a corruption of Spion Cop (not sure if thats the right spelling),which was a mountain one of the Highland regiments fought over in the Boer war on their way to relieving Ladysmith.There is another thread on this site on this park and it,s history

it was spine cob park mount st b7,i spent my child hood there,taking the blocks off the fort when the workman went home,next day he built it again.what a s**T I WAS THEN.then later in life become a park keeper looking after it,at weekends,happy times.
I fell off the concrete castle and broke my arm when i was 4! It was a death trap!

I fell off the concrete castle and broke my arm when i was 4! It was a death trap!
some of the items in there were not very sale no H&S. if i remember there was a large plank of wood with handles on it hanging from chains,that swung and you sat on it.:(

some of the items in there were not very sale no H&S. if i remember there was a large plank of wood with handles on it hanging from chains,that swung and you sat on it.:(
mw0njm, We had one of these in our park in Court Lane. We called it the bumper but it had solid metal bars not chains. My brother stood in the way and it broke his leg which was always shorter than the other from then on.

mw0njm, We had one of these in our park in Court Lane. We called it the bumper but it had solid metal bars not chains. My brother stood in the way and it broke his leg which was always shorter than the other from then on.
thats it the bumper thanks LP i was trying to remember the name, i saw a lot of smashed teeth from the contraption

it did have bars :grinning:
GettyImages-3163647-768x432.jpg

That's the one except it was less posh than that one and didn't have anywhere to put your feet. It was just a long plank of wood. Lots of scuffed shoes and telling-offs! I can still imagine the feel of the iron handles. We didn't push ours - a bigger boy stood on each end and 'pumped' it. Not sure how they did it but there was always one on each end. This would have been mid-1950's.

That's the one except it was less posh than that one and didn't have anywhere to put your feet. It was just a long plank of wood. Lots of scuffed shoes and telling-offs! I can still imagine the feel of the iron handles. We didn't push ours - a bigger boy stood on each end and 'pumped' it. Not sure how they did it but there was always one on each end. This would have been mid-1950's.
it was the swayingt body motion that started it off. :worried:

The one at Spion Kop was just a railway sleeper type thing with chains. I loved the wooden fort though--very Davy Crockett!

Back