• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Parade,Hockley,Birmingham

Carolann

Journeyman Brummie
I know it is a lot to ask,but i am trying to find names of factories that were in The Parade,Hockley in the 1930`s and 1940`s.
I am trying to find my Aunt who was working in one these Factories i think
from abt 1937 onwards.She was a Wirer in a Plating Works.
She left home many years ago and has never been seen since.
So i am tracing back hoping to find out what happened to her.
If anyone can help with names i would be very grateful.
Carol

This was the only one in this type of business related to your enquiry
Kelly's 1937
Nickox Plating Co Ltd
10A Parade
Chromium Platers

In 1940 there was also no 71 1/2 William Edward Gilligan Jr, chromium plater. Noone is listed for 10A. Neither is listed in 1944.
mike

Thankyou John and MikeGee for the addresses of the factories in The
Parade i am very grateful.
Funny my Aunt lived at no 71 A,The Parade.

A friend who has been given this photo has asked me to ask the forum if anyone knew where this would be. He knows the Tram No 80 goes from town through The Parade, Springhill. Dudley Road right through to Smethwick. Any help would be great. Wayne tram.jpgThanks,

The photograph is of the Parade, the distant tram is still descending Summer Row. It is April 1939. The 80 route did go to St. Paul's Road, Smethwick and was replaced by bus service B84, usually a Midland Red operated service.
The factory behind tram 196 was Hoyle, Robson Barnett & Co. Ltd., paint manufacturers. Tram 196 new 1906/7 was withdrawn not long after the photograph was taken in 1939. Quite a few of the same class of trams were held in reserve during WW2.
The distant tram, car 53, is on the Lodge Road 32 service. It wall take the tracks to the right and climb Newhall Hill to the Jewellery Quarter. The Dudley Road routes ceased in 1939 but the 32 was reprieved until March, 1947 being replaced by bus route 96. Tram 53 was built 1905/6 and was fitted with bow collectors due to the sharp curves on the route.

The second photo was taken in the same place and I suspect the point duty policeman has stopped the traffic, judging by the woman sprinting across the road. Still 1939, of course, but white fenders are on the trams.
The leading tram is from the same class as 196, in the previous photograph and seems to be on route 29 to Bearwood - replaced by bus route B82. The following trams is on the 32 route,

The photograph is of the Parade, the distant tram is still descending Summer Row. It is April 1939. The 80 route did go to St. Paul's Road, Smethwick and was replaced by bus service B84, usually a Midland Red operated service.
The factory behind tram 196 was Hoyle, Robson Barnett & Co. Ltd., paint manufacturers. Tram 196 new 1906/7 was withdrawn not long after the photograph was taken in 1939. Quite a few of the same class of trams were held in reserve during WW2.
The distant tram, car 53, is on the Lodge Road 32 service. It wall take the tracks to the right and climb Newhall Hill to the Jewellery Quarter. The Dudley Road routes ceased in 1939 but the 32 was reprieved until March, 1947 being replaced by bus route 96. Tram 53 was built 1905/6 and was fitted with bow collectors due to the sharp curves on the route.
Amazing info. Thank you

Back