• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Palladium Cinema Hockley Picture House

That was the place where I first got into 'rock'n'roll. I went and watched the film 'The girl can't help it' starring Eddie Cochrane. I was only about 1o yrs old but I became hooked.

thanks terry its amazing just how many members have fond memories of the pally and as i have said before so sad to see it now in such a state..:(

I was in Birmingham for a few days this past week and I passed the Palladium on the bus and noticed the sorry state.
I imagine the inside is probably wrecked by now as it looks like it's been accessed from the side of the building.
I can't see anyone taking it on now, no doubt it will be demolished eventually or (conveniently) catch fire - very sad.

Some photos from the inside of the Palladium taken recently

Some photos from the inside of the Palladium taken recently

A sorry state...but what I remember of the Palladium was that it was one of the hardest cinemas to "bunk into".
Dave A

I only went once to the Palladium about 58/59 to see Loving You an Elvis Presley film , with my mate and his Ma and Pa . Lyn I went once also to the Villa Cross earlier than above to see Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier .

I guess “circuit” refers to several cinemas (?) But not sure. Anyway, looks like a good outing, wonder if those in the photo are cinema staff and their families or local cinema goers. Probably taken in a park ?

Viv.

C1911021-7F3A-4DC8-8731-9E8937965637.jpeg

I would have thought that Viv, though Victor Price's "Birmingham cinemas" does not mention a chain. It just says it was opened 1911 under Bert Wynne, rebuilt and enlarged 1922, and then opened as "New Palladium"

Does anyone know the original architect? My grandfather was an architect based on Soho road and did design cinemas. The elite on soho road and one in Allum rock .
He died fighting in 1918 when my father was only 6. Grandfather was Thomas Samuel Harper Silver.

Regretfully Victor Price's book on cinemas does not say. Have moved post to Paddaium thread

There's a newspaper article from 1915 about Thomas Silver bringing an action to recover fees from an Alfred Smallwood for work done on a picture house in Holyhead Road. Possibly the Albion?

Just says 8th November 1922, Re-built and enlarged to the plans of architect L.L. Dussault as New Palladium.

Back