• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Palladium Cinema Hockley Picture House

Derelict-UK

master brummie
Hello everyone, I live near the Hockley flyover at soho hill and I always go past the Palladium in its sorry state.

Does anyone have any background information on it (also when it opened or closed) and it would be really nice if anyone has got any internal pictures of it in use.

Does anyone know who owns the building? and if its listed?

Regards,
Mike.

Hi Mike
I remember the Palladium very well ..as a child i lived in rooms in South rd Hockley..The People who lived above us in the attic had a son .. can't remember his first name but the last name was Bryan or Bryant he was the projectionist at the Palladium and used to sneak me in every Saturday..if you get an info on it let me know:)

Went there many times saw the Benny Goodman Story, Rebel Without a Cause, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Love me Tender for example. A great cinema

I was only young but i watched an Elvis film there..twice over Mom didn,t know where i had gone so she got them to put my name across the screen to see if i was there.. that was sooo embarrasing
maggie:redface:

Welcome Derelict:)

Opened c1911

Rebuilt as the New Palladium 1927 later shortened to the Palladium.

Closed 1962 and used as a bingo hall untill the late 1970s when it was closed and has remained boarded up since.:(

I've got a couple of pictures but I'll see how they scan

Last edited:
thanks for the replies, it looks like everyone had some good memories from in there:)

Alf, that would be great if you do have some pics.

WOW doesn't describe it!! Alf, your a Star, as if something that beautiful could be left in such a sorry state!!

Its really sad, yet kind of nice to know it hasn't been demolished or made into posh flats!!

Couldn't vouch for the inside but it did look grand:)

Then all the Cinema's were great in my days, to me at least.

I used to go to the Palladium during the early 60s. I was an ABC Minor (anyone remember the song?).

Every Saturday, my dad would give me two tanners... one for admission and one for sweets.

I spent my formative years watching Flash Gordon, Zorro, Old Mother Riley et al. :)

"We are the boys and girls well known of
Members of the ABC
And every Saturday we line up
To see films we love
And shout aloud with glee"

If you want a photo of the said extravaganza,I'll try and put one up on here,or send it direct to an e-mail address. It might have to be the middle of next week again now before i can get across town to rummage through the vault I have which stores my film collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
A photo would be great. Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
BrummieP: If you would like to message me with an e-mail address, as certain of the items that i may have are due to strict copyright rules viewable only 1-2-1.

Regarding the specific cinema showings at the Palladium the dates I'm coming up with are October 1936 for conversion to film shows; and 13 Feb 1965 for the last film show presentation.

even though i used to lived just round the corner from the palladium in villa st i actually never went to it. as kids we always went to the villa cross picture house on villa road. saturday mornings there was a must. think the last film i saw there was true grit starring john wayne. sadly its long since gone. wales

"We are the boys and girls well known of
Members of the ABC
And every Saturday we line up
To see films we love
And shout aloud with glee"

If you want a photo of the said extravaganza,I'll try and put one up on here,or send it direct to an e-mail address. It might have to be the middle of next week again now before i can get across town to rummage through the vault I have which stores my film collection.

Here you are folks. Sorry its taken a while to find it. If you're one of these people shown making a fool of themselves, I cannot be held responsible for any embarrassment!:biggrin:

hi richie. thanks for the pic. i am just off now to take pics of the old end. if ive got time i will drive past the pally and get a shot of it as it is now. im afraid last time i went past it was in a very sorry state. wales.

hi richie. thanks for the pic. i am just off now to take pics of the old end. if ive got time i will drive past the pally and get a shot of it as it is now. im afraid last time i went past it was in a very sorry state. wales.

If you're still there, amongst the photos you take try and take one photo with the Pally just on the left edge looking towards Birmingham......hint.

Richie:)

Back