• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Palladium Cinema Hockley Picture House

just caught up with this thread...what absolutly brillient pics...how lucky to have been allowed in to take them...thanks a million...

lyn

Lyn, you're presuming our forumer wasn't locked in after the last performance of housey-housey and took the photos to record the 20 years until the Estate Agency took it over:biggrin:

Richie.

lol richie...i could still cry buckets when i think of the villa cross pic house..nowt wrong with it at all.....they just needed a car park...:cry::cry:

I used to go to the Palladium in the early 60s, they had a competition one saturday morning to see who could dance the best to Chubby Checkers The Twist .

Great pics,both the current ones,and the older ones.A really good thread happily kept alive.

Corona and Mason's pop,the place is a real time vault,and at £650,000 isn't ridiculously priced.
Do wonder why it was never sold these last 30 years though,why would the owners sit on it for so long?

I think the problem with listed buildings of this kind is that they are a bit of a white elephant - as they are listed, there are usually alot of restrictions on what you can do with them as you are not allowed to make major changes.

What could it be used as now? I doubt it would be viable to run it as a cinema again and someone would probably have to spend alot of money on renovating it. I think it would be very difficult to find anyone wanting to take it on. Very sad as it's a lovely building.

Derelict your pictures are some of the best we could ever see .You seem to get acess into places that we can only dream off. Brill pics keep them coming

I think the problem with listed buildings of this kind is that they are a bit of a white elephant - as they are listed, there are usually alot of restrictions on what you can do with them as you are not allowed to make major changes.

What could it be used as now? I doubt it would be viable to run it as a cinema again and someone would probably have to spend alot of money on renovating it. I think it would be very difficult to find anyone wanting to take it on. Very sad as it's a lovely building.

The building is not listed.

The estate agent told me there was an 'agreement' that the outside should stay the same (obviously cleaned up) but the inside has no guidance to it.

The options I was told about who were interested were a monestry(sp) and a community hall.

Inside, apart from the roof and flaking paint, the structure is sound and completely made of thick concrete

I have just caught-up with this thread. Thank you for posting these sad photographs. I too have fond childhood memories of the Palladium. Mabz

Smashing photo Chris. I used to go to the Palladium a lot in the mid-1950's. It was just 5 minutes down the road from where I used to live.

Judy

So did I Judy and Chris, in fact I wonder if I might be in that queue.

Lovely photo and smashing cinema.

inside the PALLADIUM

Attachments

• apilladium22of23.jpg
    apilladium22of23.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 30
  • apilladium12of23.jpg
    apilladium12of23.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 28
  • apilladium9of23.jpg
    apilladium9of23.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 28
  • apilladium7of23.jpg
    apilladium7of23.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 29
  • apilladium3of23.jpg
    apilladium3of23.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 27
it gives me no pleasure at all to post these photos but it is all in the name of history...i never used this cinema but remember it well only living round the corner from it...soho hill and birm arms 013.JPG soho hill and birm arms 017.JPG

Sorry state Lyn. Would you mind if I put your first photo on the ghost signs thread? This is interesting as the ghost signs show at least 3 phases of use. The New Pallidium has another sign either underneath or on top of it. And the left vertical pillar has BINGO written down it. Viv.

how sad to see the pallidium in such a state
it holds very specials memories for me it was there my now husband ask me to marry him
in 1963
josie

opened c1911

Rebuilt as the New Palladium 1927 later shortened to the Palladium.

Closed 1962 and used as a bingo hall untill the late 1970s when it was closed and has remained boarded up since.:( pic below taken in better days

Attachments

• pally.jpg
    pally.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 21
yes tim happy days back then...to be honest i just cant see the pally being saved:(

lyn

Hi Lynn
The last time I was in that picture house and it was the very laser time I visited was to see the Elvis film
Called G I Blues many moons ago about him being in the Army in fact the film was made around his
Time he spent in the forces Ashe had to do his it of national services
And slightly off the subject Lynn, if you excuse me ,
I think it would not be a bad idea if it was introduced here
Lynn thanks for the pictures of the place and for bringing back memory
Did you ever get one of the those days boys , ,
Its okay Lynn that was one of his songs with his comrades within the movie
But what I should really say Lynn, did you ever bet a photograph of the late night
Coffee shop which was a couple of yards from the picture house spent many hours in there
I think it was called the Ocean coffee bar
Have a nice day Lynn, we all appreciate the hard work you are doing for us
Best wishes as always,, Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,,

Back