• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Palladium Cinema Hockley Picture House

Welcome Derelict:)

Opened c1911

Rebuilt as the New Palladium 1927 later shortened to the Palladium.

Closed 1962 and used as a bingo hall untill the late 1970s when it was closed and has remained boarded up since.:(

I've got a couple of pictures but I'll see how they scan

Been there today - shame about the state of the wonderful building,

If you look closely at the front - the two names are still evident. The one states 'The New Palladium' and the other in blue says 'Palladium'.

I used to go there to watch Elvis films and the occasional Saturday Matenee.

keith

hi richie. didnt read you last mess till after i had gone out. not sure if we took any of the left side. will put some pics on later when ive downloaded. wales.

Have you seen the lovely story Ron ('Smudge') Smith told in one of his superb books on Hockley history? Forgotten the details now, but he describes how his sister (I think it was), who was in the box office, let him in witlhout paying, (tut, tut). Marvellous stories and brilliant drawings. He's a very clever man.
Peter

richie. sorry i dont think i took the side you wanted. but anyway these were taken this morning by myself and keith acton. what a sorry state it is in now. just the birds nesting at the top. i wonder what will become of it. wales.

it gives me no pleasure to be posting these pics. its such a shame. wales.

Wales-here's my offering anyway. Hopefully its what you thought i meant!

Palladium there on the left-but Hockley before the flyover!!

Picture around 1959-60. Should you wish a better date will have to go back whenever that way to my academic source in whichever research place i found it:)

Richie, your photo shows the Palladium and Hockley looking very much as it did when I worked in the area in 1954/55.

Judy

Hi Richie
Thank you so much for the picture:) It bought back so many memories. I used to live in the first house in South Road just over from the Palladium and used to go there every Saturday.Its lovely to see how it was:)
Lyn thanks for the pics such a shame to see it like that but at least it's still standing (for now)
take care all
Maggie

Thanks Alf
I knew you had posted these pics before but it's a real pleasure to see them again:)
Maggie

Thanks Alf
I knew you had posted these pics before but it's a real pleasure to see them again:)
Maggie

Thanks Maggie for some reason someone started a 2nd place for posting Birmingham Cinemas instead of checking:)

This ones under Birmingham Entertainment

Last edited:
Here's one of the Palladium from mid-50's. The manageress was Mrs D Lamb. The film showing at the time was 'Calcutta' starring Alan Ladd and William Bendix. Forthcoming attractions included Tony Curtis and Jan Sterling in 'Flesh and Fury'.

Below the cinema was Abrahall's, carton manufacturer.

PalladiumHockley56lores.jpg

Hi I am very interested in the interior of the cinema can you send me this pictyure by email please, if not don't worry.
Thank you

Hi Alf,
Very interesting and informative. Rich history of the Pallidium. Can anyone tell me what the seating capacity was a that time?
Cheryl

Back