• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Palace Erdington

Froth Blower, if you put Birmingham Cinemas in the Seradh box you will find over 250 replies from members, all about this subject:)

Palace Erdington - There was also the Palace Dance hall next door - Wednesdays Fridays and Saturdays I went dancing - Half a crown to get in - we carried our dance shoes in a bag - and had to show them at the door (even ther men)we were not allowed to dance in street shoes... What great times i had there!

Went to the Palace nearly every week in my teens.

Fell in love for the first time there in 1954 when i was 12.
It was with Edmund Purdom in 'The Student Prince'.

Went toThe Palace Cinema many many times. First date going to the pictures was at the Palace and first date with my first true love as well. Didn't go dancing there though.

I used to go to the Pallace in the 50s. I went out with a lovely girl who worked in a green grocers in Slade Road but unfortunatley I can't remember her name. We met at a youth club at a school in Slade Road (I remember dancing with her to Be-bop-alula. Sadly, we went together to the Palace shortly before she finished with me

I guess she was your first love Michael? Though you can't remember her name now - I expect if you heard it again the whole last evening would come flooding back to you - What did you do stand on her toes?

Never mind we seldom marry our first loves - though I do remember mine very well - I was only 11 years old - and have had quite a few since -

I came all the way to Canada to meet my true love a Scotsman from Edinburgh - Tall dark and handsome - and my how he could dance!

Beryl it sounds like he truly swept you off your feet! how lovely.

Michael my cousin lived in Slade Road before they moved to Sutton. She was ten years older than me. I thought she was so glamourous, she had a Vespa Scooter her maiden name was Patricia Hook.

Palace Erdington

Hi All,
didn't goto the Palace very often, seats downstairs were cramped between the rows, and on one visit someone nicked the spare wheel off my Lambretta scooter, police called at my house 7 or 8 months after I reported the theft to tell me they were still looking for it, how times have changed,!!!!!
Regards Chris B

Hmmm Palace Erdington...... When I was Assistant Manager at the ABC Walsall & New Street. I used to relieve the Manager for his Holidays and occasionally Days Off...
The Ballroon was above the Foyer.... The Theatre was an unusual The front part of the building was the original Theatre then The new theatre was built on the back. Down in the stockroom in the foyer had part of the old orcestra pit..

The scope picture was the usual ABC method.. Philips Delrama (mirrors) Top and side moveable masking used Festoon Tabs (Curtains)
House Light fittings made by F. Pride

Frank Reago was Manager here before moving to the Plaza Stockland Green

Much Later when I became the General Manager of The Capitol Cinema.... The Doorman and Kiosk attendent Mrs and Mrs Tipper ended up working for me...

Cannot remember if the Projection Equipment was Westeren Electric or RCA-Ross.... (Suffering from age,..)

We lived behind the Palace Cinema and the old tennis courts and on a Saturday we went to the morning pictures I think it was 3d to get in and we saw the likes of Hopalong Cassidy etc and we all sang a song at the start remember the tune but not the words - its old age. They also had Talent Shows as well. Saw some great pictures there South Pacific, Smiley (about an Australian boy and I imagined my cousins who were then in Oz in that situation) Reach for the Sky, High Society - now those were GOOD films.

Dyan:D:newzelandflag:

Rememember the old tennis courts crumbling later when decayed we used the court as a cycle racing track all x moor end laners
As prev said my picture on my timeline is the palace minors football team x1948 unbeaten in the season cup an league mr peters was the manager and our sponsor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah how I remember the last dance with Brenda at The Palace, then home to Mere Green on the Golden Flash. Love long gone but memories are forever. Kind regards to all, David

Back