• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Outer Circle

I did that a couple of times in the 70's on a sleepy summer Sunday afternoon. Also did it with my wife and two children in the early 90's, when we came up to visit my parents in Acocks Green, to show them the diverse city that I had been born in. Had to catch it when I went to the 'Yew Tree' when I went to Garretts Green College and I used to race it down to Acocks Green village to catch the No 1 bus. beat me a few times but it was a great feeling when I won as I saved a bus fare :)
The best times though (or worst1?!?) was when we went to Villa Park for the match. Manic!!

Awful news. The round-around number 11 Outer Circle bus route is an icon of Birmingham. The next thing to happen will be the filling-in of canals so that we have fewer than Venice! Dave.
If I were travelling home to Yardley from Kings Heath, as I did as a school boy, I would have to change buses at Acock's Green

The reason for the splitting of the route is the road work at Perry Barr and it should be only whilst the new road works are ongoing. I remember the building of the underpass and the flyover further to the north. The Buses kept running then. So why now do passengers have to change at Perry Barr now ?

May be there is different kind of councillor now who decided these things!

One like Margaret Thatcher who does not deign to use buses, but prefers limousines

The reason for the splitting of the route is the road work at Perry Barr and it should be only whilst the new road works are ongoing. I remember the building of the underpass and the flyover further to the north. The Buses kept running then. So why now do passengers have to change at Perry Barr now ?

May be there is different kind of councillor now who decided these things!
I suspect that during the underpass building, the roadway was kept open on one side while the 'new' other was being built. Nowadays the whole site needs to be hermetically sealed for health & safety reasons (!). Quite how the passengers are supposed to walk from one side to the other will doubtless be explained later,

The plan is to remove the roundabout at Birchfield Road/A4040 and replace it with a straight carriage way with traffic lights. The underpass is to remain in place.

They are creating a public realm, what ever that is, perhaps for the cyclists, scooter riders to accelerate through!

It seems the vision of the 1960's has been altered, or abandoned. May be the pedestrian subways have gone and now the flyover and soon the roundabout. Tarmac is making the alterations, but as to the architect responsible they seem to be in hiding at present.

Now, this could all be a success, but then the chaos at present being endured raises a question will the new alterations be the worst solution.

Perry Barr changed with the 1960's road works, shops were lost and a community was changed. What next is store for this area?

Public Rea;m sounds like something from the communist or fascist playbook- meant to impress, but means nothing

One like Margaret Thatcher who does not deign to use buses, but prefers limousines
A version I heard was that Prime Minister Edward Heath was at 10 Downing Street and advised that he should be seen travelling on buses. His response was "Oh very well. Have one sent round for me".

A version I heard was that Prime Minister Edward Heath was at 10 Downing Street and advised that he should be seen travelling on buses. His response was "Oh very well. Have one sent round for me".
There is "Ring and Ride" which does come and pick you up from home.

I think New Street in Birmingham falls into the term Public Realm and for black lycra clad Tour de France style riders the contest seems to be how fast then can pass from Victoria Square to the Rotunda.

“The term ‘public realm’ is often used loosely….”

Back