• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Onion Fair

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
I knew your Nan and Granddad very well Josephine. She used to give me extra meat when she did the roasts at the fairground. I think she may have worked at the IMI as a cook. Mom was a pastry cook there.

Josephine Chapman

knowlegable brummie
I knew your Nan and Granddad very well Josephine. She used to give me extra meat when she did the roasts at the fairground. I think she may have worked at the IMI as a cook. Mom was a pastry cook there.
Yes, Gran was a cook at the ICI I think. It’s a small world isn’t it :)
(May Chapman centre front row top photo and second right front row in the bottom one)

Attachments

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
I am sure that is how mom got the job through your nan. They were very friendly but never in and out of houses but always there to help one another out. I have many photo's of the IMI canteen and will look for a thread on here and post some.

Josephine Chapman

knowlegable brummie
I am sure that is Mrs Kelly the boss in the middle/middle row top photo.
I was a bit confused by the ICI/IMI relationship. Dad has just explained that before the war the ICI (Imperial Chemical company) was formed by a consortium and that was what that part of the company was called when my Gran first worked there, but after the war it became known as IMI (The Imperils metals company - a subsidiary of ICI) because they’d been involved with making copper and brass for munitions during the war and to the best of my knowledge was still called that when she retired.

apparently she was transferred to the Zip Fasteners Division and stayed there until she retired.

Last edited:

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
The link with the Onion Fair and your nan being in charge of the roast was it was arranged by the IMI If I remember correctly.

Josephine Chapman

knowlegable brummie
The link with the Onion Fair and your nan being in charge of the roast was it was arranged by the IMI If I remember correctly.
I’d not heard about that before. I do know the Prices/Chapmans had strong links to the fair. They were very friendly with Josephine and Albert Hedges and Annie and Alf Rodgers who spent their honeymoon night at 49.

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
My recollection of the Onion Fair is a bit embarasing.
I'd just returned from National Service, went with my wife and leaving the fair she was walking just behind me I reached back and took her hand , we walked on for several paces then I turned to speak to her and it wasn't her but another lady, contentedly holding on, my wife still a couple of paces back grinning. :oops:
:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning: love it. i bet the woman thought it was her luck day.