• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Onion Fair

Eric Gibson

master brummie
My recollection of the Onion Fair is a bit embarasing.
I'd just returned from National Service, went with my wife and leaving the fair she was walking just behind me I reached back and took her hand , we walked on for several paces then I turned to speak to her and it wasn't her but another lady, contentedly holding on, my wife still a couple of paces back grinning. :oops:

Richarddye

master brummie
My recollection of the Onion Fair is a bit embarasing.
I'd just returned from National Service, went with my wife and leaving the fair she was walking just behind me I reached back and took her hand , we walked on for several paces then I turned to speak to her and it wasn't her but another lady, contentedly holding on, my wife still a couple of paces back grinning. :oops:
Way to go Eric :cool:

raz ullah

proper brummie kid
Hi all i am born and bred in Clifton Road Aston and i was that excited when the Onion Fair came to Aston watching the caravans coming up Park Road and i remember the Wall of Death and the smell of the fuel in the motorbikes best of all was watching your candyfloss being prepared going round in the machine it was great and we would come home filthy Good Days Raz x

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Hi Raz and welcome. Living in Holte road I used to hang out of the back bedroom window and watch and smell the fair from there after ten o'clock.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Fantastic photo Rob. Do you remember the Barrel Organ?. I have a replica my dad bought and it actually plays music. Will take a photo and post it tomorrow sometime.

Radiorails

master brummie
The barrel organs I had in mind were small and pushed along like a handcart. But there were many ogans in many places. This web site is interesting.

RobT

master brummie
This although NOT the Onion Fair, Should bring back many memories of Pat Collins Funfair, and the Wonderland 98 Key Marenghi Organ, also shown the Traction Engine 'The Leader' which was at the Onion Fair many times.

Radiorails

master brummie
1601734260906.png
This is what I believe is was known as a hurdy gurdy.
Barrel organs have cylinders to make them work, the Marenghi type used 'books' of continuous punched card (early computer I guess ;))