• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Onion Fair

Richard Shephard

master brummie
:)there was an artical in the Sunday Mercury this week about the smallest woman on the onion fair
her name was Anita. i remember her very well. my father inlaw had a photograph taken with him sitting on Anita's lap . i also remember the bearded lady who was there.i used to like going on the ghost train
the catterpiller . had some great at the fair.

ronald coooer121

knowlegable brummie
An also at the serpentine ground Aston was the goose fair brilluant get off tram at Aston station walk up lovers lane an there you was wot a night

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GazC

Brummie and proud of it!
I think the Goose fair is from Nottingham and still going.
I was brought up at 4 Yew Tree Road, right by the corner by the main gate to The Tip (Serpentine ground), it was brilliant watching the trucks and trailers. My favourite was the generator truck, red, mucky and absolutely beautiful (you may have to be a petrol head.)
Watching the ghost train being built didn't take the shine off.:excitement:

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
What years did you live there Gaz?. Do you remember Keith Scrivvens a few doors from your house?. We met up again four years ago and are on the same caravan site. Must try to re post my pictures of the Onion Fare.

cookie273uk

master brummie
Yes , the Goose Fair is based at Nottingham. The Onion fair which was in the Autumn (I think ?) belonged to Pat Collins. I used to go in late 1940's and again in the late 1950's when I came out of the RAF, I loved the Venison Rolls, I only lived in Queens Road so did not have far to go, normally popped in the Tavern or the Queens on the way home. Happy days. Wonder why they ceased the Onion fair but carried on with the Goose fair in Nottingham ? Eric

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
:peach:Think it was the Autumn Eric as there was always a chill in the air but we soon warmed ourselves up. My neighbor and moms friend May Chapman always cooked the Venison and sometimes did a pig on a spit. Oh yes Happy days had by all.:peach:

paul stacey

master brummie
I remember the French onion sellers and the onions strung across their bikes and shoulders, they would come out as far as Bartley Green, never actually went to the fair though I was told about it by my Dad and Mom.paul

GazC

Brummie and proud of it!
What years did you live there Gaz?. Do you remember Keith Scrivvens a few doors from your house?. We met up again four years ago and are on the same caravan site. Must try to re post my pictures of the Onion Fare.
I lived there from 1956 to 1976, aged 0 to 20 :sneakiness:. I'm not sure of the name, mind you, I've forgotten more than I remember, that's why these forums are great, they prompt memories.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
I can remember most of the names as I lived there from birth till I was twenty. The Onion Fair was the best thing going in those days.

Austin K2

master brummie
My most abiding memory of the onion fair is the mighty steam traction engine "Goliath", used to stand and watch for ages.
Then when the fair moved on, we used to stand at the bottom of Gravelly Hill and watch the fair come over Salford Bridge, turn right onto the Tyburn Road, with lorries and traction engines towing anything up to five trailers behind, always fancied doing that.
I do believe that Goliath is still alive.

cookie273uk

master brummie
Ronald coooer121, The Goose fair was in Nottingham and I have been led to believe it is still in operation ? whereas the Pat Collins Onion fair sited at the 'tip' in Aston in the Autumn ceased many years ago. Never been keen on Fairs but living just round the corner in Queens Road I did pay it a visit each year late 50's, still can recall the smell of venison and pork and sometimes Ox roasting on the spit just inside the entrance by the Aston Tavern. Happy days

David Weaver

gone but not forgotten
Reared on it Jean, the smells, the sounds the people running it and the Brummies enjoying it. Ah for our history and the memories acting like cement to bring it all together. Kind regards, David

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
:peach:Morning [afternoon] David. We were so lucky to live in Holte road at that time. I will re scan the photo's and put them on later. Jean.:peach:

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Lovely photo Carolina and it brings back such wonderful memories. The small wheel in the background was looked after by a man by the name of Alan who used to let me ride for free as we were friends of the Humphries. I hated that big wheel though. My friend started to swing it when we were at the top.