• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Old Ship Inn

O

O.C.

The Old Ship Inn at Camp Hill built in 1560 must have been a wonderful old pub to go in ...but sadly it went many years ago......rumour had it that Prince Rupert used the place as his headquarters when he set fire to Birmingham in 1643.
In the eary days before it became an inn it was a farmhouse and converted to an inn in the 17th century
The Third drawing you can see Holy Trinity Church Camp Hill (the pub has the water trough in front of it
Last pic shows the Ship in 1951 and that to has been demolished

On the fourth photo of the Ship above the front door it say's, Prince Rupert's Headquarters, it brings back memories, when the 13a bus used to stop outside we always looked down at the sign.

i remember the ship, I lived at the bottom of camp hill with my nan when i was little, and my dad told me the same story about prince rupert and something about a tunnel underneath

Lovely pictures Cromwell. The one showing Holy Trinity Church - any idea what period this was please?

images
pre WW2 photo

Why might a Birmingham Inn in the 17th century have been called 'The Ship'?? A colleague of mine has suggested it could have been Sheep (old diaect)? I can see the logic in that. Any thought??

Some good photos and information in posts 469/470/471 and 474 of this thread:

And the conductor used to call out "The Ship Camp Hill, never sailed never will".
There was a secret passage underground from The Ship Pub, Camphill, Sparkbrook Bham 11 to Stratford Place it was there for Prince Rupert in need of his escape. .My friends and I knew the daughter of the landlord who ran the ship in approx 1954/1955 it was a massive building large empty rooms and very spooky sadly I just can't remember her name! We lived in Henley Street with my Nan after we returned from Canada just down the hill from The Ship was The Shakespear Pub it was on the corner of Henley Street & Stratford Road.

was The Shakespear Pub it was on the corner of Henley Street & Stratford Road.
Yes - some info and pics on several threads.

According to Kelly's the landlord around 1955 was James Pooler, does that help at all.
Thank's but No it doesn't jog my memory she was a very nice girl...my Nan told me off for going there because it was a pub...Oh well memories are good...Like Taylors Cakes, Sandy Lane and on the corner down Henley Street was The Rose Pub...

There was a secret passage underground from The Ship Pub, Camphill, Sparkbrook Bham 11 to Stratford Place it was there for Prince Rupert in need of his escape. .My friends and I knew the daughter of the landlord who ran the ship in approx 1954/1955 it was a massive building large empty rooms and very spooky sadly I just can't remember her name! We lived in Henley Street with my Nan after we returned from Canada just down the hill from The Ship was The Shakespear Pub it was on the corner of Henley Street & Stratford Road.
I

Hi, have just joined this site and hope you are still on it. The girl you mentioned was my sister, Margaret. I'm assuming it wasn't me, Jacqueline, as I was younger by 7 years and only just started junior school. If it was my sister you remember would be happy to give you information. Jackie

Back