• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Old Engine, Park Road, Hockley

SarahHolmes

master brummie
Hi all

My dad wants to know if anyone can remember this pub, which was the local for the family when he was growing up (1950s - 1970s).

Attached is a picture of his grandparents, Sarah and George Farley (not sure who the lady in between them is) inside the pub.

Sarah

HI sarah
as soon as i read your thread , i thought yes we know him ; my brother and myself
and now you have mentioned the pub it confirms to us we are right we know your dad
from way back and soon as you mentioned micky dunne ; my brother roy was really good friends with your dad and the marlarkies and he his like me he knew them all around there and the pubs
fishers cotterells micky coles you name them our roy can reel them off
it was is hunting ground and his drinking area we was from spring hill
nice to hear from you on the thread and knowing you are mickys daughter ;
best wishes astonion ;

Hi Astonion

You've got me dad racking his brains now for your brother's surname...he's even rang his sister, Linda, but she can't remember either!

Micky Dunne was dad's dj name, his real name is Michael Sydenham.

Great to hear from you!

Sarah

yes my brother remembers him and my brother was a little stocky guy with bonde hair
he was in them pubs every night of the week and he wore a gret suit ;
best wishes astonion ;

Hi Sarah!

Just came across your post. I remember the Old Engine Pub on Park Road near the railway bridge. My parents ran it briefly in the mid 1950's. Your photo attachment taken inside the pub is not showing on the forum. A copy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Moss

Back