• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Old Crown Pub, Lichfield Rd

John Young

master brummie
Hi , Could I please have a look up for a Charles Young, Publican at

the Old Crown Pub, 304 Lichfield Rd, Aston Manor hopefully in 1902 & 1903 ?

He was there in 1901 (Census) but I know he died 17th June 1904 at 110 Farm St, B19

Old family rumour that he had an accident on holiday Isle of Man ? (or other, Jersey/Guernsey
Anglesey, I o W ?) still to find.

hence could no longer manage the pub so a new Publican installed 1902/3/4 ? name please.
Thanks & best regards John Y

I have him there for a number of years I have him there in 1888
110 farm street Miss Emily Butler was the a Beer Retailer in 1904

Hi , Could I please have a look up for a Charles Young, Publican at

the Old Crown Pub, 304 Lichfield Rd, Aston Manor hopefully in 1902 & 1903 ?

He was there in 1901 (Census) but I know he died 17th June 1904 at 110 Farm St, B19

Old family rumour that he had an accident on holiday Isle of Man ? (or other, Jersey/Guernsey
Anglesey, I o W ?) still to find.

hence could no longer manage the pub so a new Publican installed 1902/3/4 ? name please.
Thanks & best regards John Y

I have found him mentioned in the Birmingham Daily Post
Saturday 13 September 1890 - Aston Licensing session
Charles Young Old Crown Lichfield Road- Licence not renewed – For permitting gaming by card playing
held over until the adjourned licensing sessions on 27[SUP]th[/SUP] September

Saturday 27 September 1890 - Adjourned Licensing Sessions at Aston
Application for renewal of licence by Charles Young Old Crown, Lichfield road – Allowed

Pollypops and Horsencart thanks for the excellent information.

The run-ins with the Local Licensing laws & magistrates would be about right for the
Aston Manor juxta Birmingham area, ( & my Family, lol ) of that time.

Horsencart did you mean Miss Emily Butler was the Publican at "The Old Crown" in 1904 ?

Emily Butler is a Sister of Charles's wife Harriett (maiden Butler) so may have taken over the pub
but when ?

Was Charles still the Publican in 1902 & 1903 ?, Can somebody check the 1903 Kellys please,
Thanks again JohnY

John, I have found 110 Farm Street listed as an Off License in the licence transfers in The Birmingham Daily Post Dec 1887 (transferred to G Freeman)

So maybe horse and cart means that Emily Butler was a beer seller at 110 Farm Street in 1904 when Charles Young died there.

Pollypops thanks again,

That information of Emily Butler @ Offy in Farm Street makes more sense now,
Thanks for the clarification,

ps Your message in-box is full so not able to receive, you need to clear the older ones Ok,
Cheers John Y

This is the entry for 1904 304 Litchfield road Smith Henry beer retailer,
Miss Butler was at Farm St till about 1909? there is a Emily Butler in the 1910 directory as
Butler Emily (Mrs) beer Retailer 4 Kingston Rd but as this one is a Mrs I is not the the but may be related

Pollypops and Horsencart thanks for the excellent information.

The run-ins with the Local Licensing laws & magistrates would be about right for the
Aston Manor juxta Birmingham area, ( & my Family, lol ) of that time.

Horsencart did you mean Miss Emily Butler was the Publican at "The Old Crown" in 1904 ?

Emily Butler is a Sister of Charles's wife Harriett (maiden Butler) so may have taken over the pub
but when ?

Was Charles still the Publican in 1902 & 1903 ?, Can somebody check the 1903 Kellys please,
Thanks again JohnY

Horsencart thanks for the update on info,

So a Henry Smith was Publican at "The Old Crown" pub at 304 Litchfield Road by 1904

is the 1903 Kelly's listing Henry Smith in 1903 ? (Site does not state having 1902 Kelly's)
I shall check Electoral Rolls for 1902.

Trying to pin down the Time frame when Charles Young left Pub due to Injury/illness after holiday;
Thanks again, John Y

Hi, is the 1903 Kelly's available to Forum members for a "Look up please"
the 1903 Kelly's is advertised on this site,, there isn't a 1903 on shelf in B,ham Library.

I am still trying to find if Charles Young was the Publican at The Old Crown 304 Lichfield Rd. 1903
Thanks John Y

I do not have a 1903 directory he is there up to 1901 (real year 1900)

Hi, is the 1903 Kelly's available to Forum members for a "Look up please"
the 1903 Kelly's is advertised on this site,, there isn't a 1903 on shelf in B,ham Library.

I am still trying to find if Charles Young was the Publican at The Old Crown 304 Lichfield Rd. 1903
Thanks John Y

John
I am surprised the library does not have a 1903 Kellys. as it is available on DVD. In 1903 no 304 Lichfield road is listed as Henry Smith ,beer retailer.

Thanks mikejee for the 1903 info & horsencart for your help for me on this topic.

I now have my Charles placed in an accurate time frame leaving "pub" to Farm Street years Cheers M8's

Yes mikejee I too was amazed (disappointed) at the actual "gaps" in Kelly's books (years) at New Library,

but the collection & availability of "look ups" on this site make this site even more useful for members & Guests.

The old crown pub became the cross guns pub of Lichfield rd. We lived at no, 5/95 Lichfield red and Friday and sat and Sunday nights we would go and fetch
6 bottles of a little brown bottle of good old fashioned and strong ginger beer from there out door you had to walk up a longish corridor to get to the hatch
And then the gather or the staff would eventually come and lift up the big window and asked what you want you could see everybody in the big bars
It changed name early 51/52 years ,
And in the late /mid fiftees the widows arms changed to the queens head and after that the one around the corner on the corner of lower Portland street
And wainwright street had there pub name change as well within two years of the widows change over I think it WS the dears head or words to that effect
In the early years and I am just trying to think of it now I worked at buttons limited and all but most of the button workers had a lunch break in there before the bull went to say back to work best wishes astonian

Back