1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. All of the moderators are working very hard to tidy up the Forum posts, as you can imagine 15 years tidying takes a lot of time. Quite a bit of this is taken up with off topic posts It would be helpful in future if members could keep their posts relevant to the thread Title,those that are not will be deleted. Thanks.

the old crown..digbeth

Discussion in 'Pubs' started by Astoness, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Astoness

Astoness TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR Staff Member

the old crown..high st digbeth

Attached Files:

2. keegs

keegs master brummie

The Old Crown,Digbeth.Not sure of the date though.

Attached Files:

3. Rupert

Rupert master brummie

The pictures are great but the opening one is a stunner. Must be about 1900 and occasionally we get a glimpse of peripheral subjects, as we do on this occasion of buildings down Heathmill Lane. Cobbles and tramlines. Thanks both. I wonder if that bollard is a cannon captured at Trafalgar.

4. Wendy

Wendy Guest

I have to agree with you Rupert the picture Lyn has posted is wonderful. The detail is so interesting all those adverts on the front of the pub the lovely old gas lamp and the ornate features some sadly lost now. I too wondered about the bollard there are several still around though.

5. Rupert

Rupert master brummie

I think that you can just see the Viaduct on the left possibly. All of this was there and valid at the time...not just an occasional old building that we have now. Nelson was a favourite of Brummies and he may have been looking at the serious end of one of those old cannons at one time or another. It would be less than a hundred years since the cannons were captured and only forty or so since other cannons dueled at Gettysburg. Heck...the second world war is further away from us now. Time seems to be becoming more compressed to me.

6. Vivienne14

Vivienne14 Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd say Keegs photo looks about 1960s - Mini parked outside. Agree with Rupert about the first photo that it's great to see a tantalizing snippet of Heathmill Lane. Also like the sign on the Crown saying " Families supplied at wholesale terms" Bet they'd have to buy a fair stock of whiskies and brandies to qualify for those terms! Thanks for posting Lyn. Viv.

7. Rupert

Rupert master brummie

From reading...this was originally a guild hall and may have been one of Birminghams first schools. On the opposite corner was a library.

8. Vivienne14

As a guildhall that would make sense Rupert. The style and dimensions of the building appear quite grand given the time it was built. I'd be interested to see the interior as I've never been in the place. If anyone has any interior photos or pictures I'd be interested to see them. Viv.

9. Astoness

hi viv if you go to the old crown meet up thread there are lots of interior pics as we were given a tour of the rooms upstairs a couple of years back...oh and ive just remembered that there are few pics of us members in the stocks...lol..

lyn

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  10. mikejee

mikejee Super Moderator Staff Member

11. Vivienne14

Lyn I've been searching the files for the meet up photos but haven't been able to find them yet. But will keep searching. (however it doesn't help that I keep getting sidetracked by other interesting threads!)

Mike thanks for the link to the book. On a first quick look it has a lot of interesting detail. My sort of book. So I'll really enjoy reading that. Much appreciated. Viv.

12. Vivienne14

Was searching for something else and came across one of Lyn's earlier photos of the the Old Crown but looking from the other direction and showing the corner of Heath Mill Lane. I've taken the liberty of dropping the link in here as, you know how it is, you find it once but can't find it when you go to look again :rolleyes: hope that's Ok Lyn. Another good view of yours of the Crown. Viv

http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=28362&d=1237450068

13. Astoness

hi viv i have tried bringing it to the top for you but for some reason it wont go...type in the old crown meet up in the search box...then scroll down to near the bottom of the page..you will find the thread there started by me in 2009..:)

14. Phil

Phil Retired Layabout

This is a very early photo of the Crown if the date is to be believed 1857 and I believe that is about as early as commercial photos get. It shows the crown as a series of shops and I don't think one of them is a pub.

Phil

[​IMG]

15. BordesleyExile

BordesleyExile master brummie

Stonking photo of the Old Crown, Phil. Thanks for posting.

16. mikejee

mikejee Super Moderator Staff Member

Phil
    Certainly J A Wheeler & Solomon Wilkes were listed there in 1855 and 1858. Can;t fit the Thomas xxx to the right of the Crown name . the landlord in 1855 was
    Thomas Dayson, so maybe that was it, though it doesn't look like Dayson to me. There is a Thomas Franks , furniture broker at 183, but I reckon that would be too far along to be shown in the photo.
    mike

17. Rupert

Rupert master brummie

Amazing how good some of the early photo's are. If that is 1857 then it is clear that the Old Crown was very old then. It's history is not clear and it was probably modified and refurbished even by this time. The overhanging portico though seems to suggest that it may have been used to offload things from wagons and they possibly may have been beer barrels. I am not sure but think that the Golden Lion had a similar appendage. I would have thought that deliveries would have been out back though. Anyway, if a guild hall at one time, that may have moved to the Guild Hall Of The Holy Cross in New Street (don't remember when...1500s or so?)....well that later building was gone way before this time to be replaced by two buildings by 1857...and yet the Old Crown still stood as it's no doubt refurbished version does today. Still very much the same landmark that Shakespeare might have seen. Surely he must have visited Brum on occasion. Maybe he stayed at the actors temple on Temple Row; if it was there in his day.

18. oldbrit

oldbrit OldBrit in Exile

Is the Old Crown still there? I did a few gigs at the pub in the 50s with the 'Johnny Kaula' band,Lots of laffs! Hawiian music in an old English pub! We all wore the shirts and even had a hula girl. John Crump OldBrit Parker. Co USA

19. Astoness

thats a cracking pic phil..thanks for posting it...yes oldbrit the crown is very much up and running..

20. Phil

Phil Retired Layabout

Mike

It could very well be Thomas Dayson at the end there.

Phil