• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Old Crown Inn Deritend

O

O.C.

The Old Crown Digbeth one of Brums best know pubs which people seem to have a love hate relationship with.........they love the look of the place and the history (incidentally I have the complete history) but today its for the tourist and does not seem a place were you would go as a regular
but the place has to make money or will shut ( I have been going on and off for 30 years as I worked nearby) and seen the fall and rise of the Old Crown....from a pub to a derelict ...and to a pub again but have they got it right ?
Directly under the sign on the Old Crown ( in the middle of the building) in the old days you could ride a horse right into the stables in the courtyard

Attachments

• Deritend The Old Crown .jpg
    Deritend The Old Crown .jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Digbeth Old Crown.jpg
    Digbeth Old Crown.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Deritend High Street Old Crown 1959.jpg
    Deritend High Street Old Crown 1959.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
What lovely photos ............even better since I discovered that when my grand parents married they were living in Heath Mill Lane. Can I use it for my records?

Old Crown

Great photo...although I have never been in the old crown..I did work at
Haddon & Stokes which was opposite the Crown so saw it from the the office window each day from the office window...
Margaret.

it was lovely to see the picture of the old crown,my gran who was born in 1898 was a barmaid there when she was about 17 years old and she used to tell me stories (wish I could remember them) also when she married she lived with her family at the back of the pub in the the clock shop yard my mom and her 5 brothers ,my gran and grandad !! thanks for the memory.:):):)

Cromwell,

On your first post, do you know how old the 2nd photo is.

My Step-4th Great Grandfather ran the pub from about 1851-58. His name was Thomas Dayson. When he died, it past to my 4th Great Grandmother, who was innkeeper for a year before she retired. My 3rd Great Grandmother, Lavinia Wyatt, worked as a bar maid there in 1851, before she married James Henry Knight, who was the son of James Knight who used to run the Pork Butcher's next door.

The Census's show that Samuel Knight, who was James's elder brother, and also married James's widow, lived there to at least 1861. Is there a chance that the picture could be around this time as I think (but I may be mistaken), that the Butcher's shop is show on the corner of Heath Mill Lane.

Could I also save a copy of the picture's for my own records?

Stephen

apologies if this one has been posted before but i just thought it was a lovely pic of the old crown..digbeth taken in the winter dated 1938..

astoness:)

courtesy of carl chinns birmingham lives.

Attachments

• Digbeth Old Crown winter 1938.jpg
    Digbeth Old Crown winter 1938.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 25
What a lovely picture. I know the old crown building because about 30 years ago I worked in part of this old building which was adjoining the pub and was offices. I don't think there was a level floor in the place they were all so sloping. Don't know if its true but I heard there were underground passages going right across to the bull ring. Anyway I'm going off the point what a really lovely picture. Thanks
Rustie

hi rustie..glad you liked the pic and thanks for your memories....i keep meaning to go in there again as it must be a good 25 years since i was last there...the bit about the underground passages sounds interesting... maybe one of our pub experts can put us right...

astoness:)

I have photographs of the inside from when we played there on Friday nights in the late fifties, mostly pick up bands with Gordon Bostock on trumpet

hi all...just found this pic of the crown lookin the other way 1937

astoness

courtesy of carl chinn birm lives

Attachments

• OLD  CROWN INN DERITEND 1937.jpg
    OLD CROWN INN DERITEND 1937.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 22
The Old Crown now serves very good lunches.
During it's refurbishment,I was told by someone who worked on it,they went down the underground passage,it leads to somewhere near the Irish centre.

the old crown..high st digbeth

Attachments

• OLD CROWN INN DIGBETH  1901.jpg
    OLD CROWN INN DIGBETH 1901.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 25
The Old Crown,Digbeth.Not sure of the date though.

Attachments

• OLD  CROWN INN DERITEND 1937.jpg
    OLD CROWN INN DERITEND 1937.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 24
The pictures are great but the opening one is a stunner. Must be about 1900 and occasionally we get a glimpse of peripheral subjects, as we do on this occasion of buildings down Heathmill Lane. Cobbles and tramlines. Thanks both. I wonder if that bollard is a cannon captured at Trafalgar.

I think that you can just see the Viaduct on the left possibly. All of this was there and valid at the time...not just an occasional old building that we have now. Nelson was a favourite of Brummies and he may have been looking at the serious end of one of those old cannons at one time or another. It would be less than a hundred years since the cannons were captured and only forty or so since other cannons dueled at Gettysburg. Heck...the second world war is further away from us now. Time seems to be becoming more compressed to me.

I'd say Keegs photo looks about 1960s - Mini parked outside. Agree with Rupert about the first photo that it's great to see a tantalizing snippet of Heathmill Lane. Also like the sign on the Crown saying " Families supplied at wholesale terms" Bet they'd have to buy a fair stock of whiskies and brandies to qualify for those terms! Thanks for posting Lyn. Viv.

From reading...this was originally a guild hall and may have been one of Birminghams first schools. On the opposite corner was a library.

As a guildhall that would make sense Rupert. The style and dimensions of the building appear quite grand given the time it was built. I'd be interested to see the interior as I've never been in the place. If anyone has any interior photos or pictures I'd be interested to see them. Viv.

hi viv if you go to the old crown meet up thread there are lots of interior pics as we were given a tour of the rooms upstairs a couple of years back...oh and ive just remembered that there are few pics of us members in the stocks...lol..

lyn

Last edited:
Back