• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The old chap

G

Grace

Was that the door bell thought the old chap, woken from his doze in his chair. He staggered to his feet, this blasted rheumatism, he could barely walk, still he must go and see who had come to visit, it was only polite. Time was when on a warm sunny day like this he spent most of his time in his garden. With a bit of luck the missus would get to the door first, she usually did these days. He must admit that she was very good to him despite the difference in their ages, his 91 to her 50 something. His mind drifted back to the holidays they had shared when the age thing didn't seem to matter, running on the beach, climbing Brinham Rocks, always a favourite. In those days he could outrun and outclimb her with no effort. They both loved Yorkshire, the beautiful dales, the people and the scrumptious cream teas. She's even talked to him about both of them retiring there some day. Apparently she fancied a little cottage in the Dales, breeding Border Collies. He wasn't sure about yapping puppies all over the place, but he supposed he could get used to it. He thought of how she seemed to love him even more each passing day, always cooking his favourite food, making sure there was a drink ready for him and even giving him a sheepskin blanket to keep him warm. He was very lucky and for some reason she seemed to think she was blessed too.
He slowly walked into the sitting room to find that nice lady called "the vet" sitting on the sofa. This was strange because he and the missus had always called at her house before and alhtough he didn't really like some of the things she did to him, she was always very kind. The missus looked very upset, but he would soon cheer her up with one of his tricks, the one with the grape always did it, when he pretended to eat it and then shook his head resulting in the fruit flying across the room. She would act like she was cross, but he knew her so well and could tell she was trying not to laugh. He had always been a bit of a clown right from his younger days and he loved to make people happy.
The vet lady stroked his ears and helped him to lie down, the missus sat on the floor, cradled his head and talked gently to him, telling him how much she loved him. The old chap only felt a slight prick in his neck and drifted off the sleep still thinking of all the laughter and the fun they had shared. Yes, they were very lucky that they had found each other all those years ago.

For the best Border Collie in the world 1987 - 2000

:cry: Grace - you've really hit a soft spot with me - well written and heart-wrenching. I have been checking on our little old dog all day today. He's approaching the end but hanging in there with every bit of strength that he has - and we have to keep him going.
Keep 'em coming our Gracie. I have a similar one I wrote about our old dog I'll post some time but too emotional for me at the moment.

That went down a treat with a cup of coffee....TY Grace, another good 'un.

I do hope these stories keep coming................its saving me a fortune on Womans Weekly

Oh Grace, I read your lovely story and my eyes flew to the piccy's of three much loved departed pals, and then to my baby sleeping on the sofa behind me.

Never stop missing them do we.

:D Grace we have an old chap right now, but he's a cat called Jaws. Jaws is nineteen ... Afraid he is not going to see twenty... Only a matter of weeks really :( .
So thanx for your story it was a great read. 8)

Back