• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Old Bear Pub , Bearwood ,

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Out There You Old Boozers ,
Does Any body Recall The Bear Pub In The Bottom End Of The High Street Bearwood , In Its Hay day It Was A Cracking Pub Very Thriving And
Entertaining Pub With A Red Hot Darts , And Domino And Foot ball Team
About Thirty Years Ago , When I Was In My Youth Me And My Friends
Used To Go There Every Week End For AFew Jars Before Setting Down To The Seven Stars Cape Hill And The Red Cow , Then Head Out To The
Old Star And Garter , It Used To Be By The Old Police Station ,
On The Old Island After Closing We Would Ventyre Back To Handsworth
To The Strip Club On Soho Rd Until The Early Hours Of The Sunday Morning
Walk Up Gerrard Street And Nursary Rd At 4 Oclock In The Morning And AT
The Old News Agents Oppersite Farm St, I Would Cut Open The Bundle Of The News Of The World And Help Myself , =But I Always Left A FLORIN , .
For The Paper , I Expect The Owner Of The Shop Often Wondered Whom Was Responible For This I Done That For Weeks At The Time
I Was Single And Totally Ignorant To Life In Those Days But To day
I Have Got Morols And Respect And That I Certainly Drummed That Into My Sons and Daughter Whom Now Reflect What I Have Lerart Them And They Are Passing It On To There Children -My Grand Children Whom I Am
Mighty Proud Df And They Certainly Not The Way I Was When Young ,
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;;;;;;

This is the area I grew up in, but I didn't drink at the Bear - The King's Head at the other end of Bearwood Road, or the New Talbot at Hagley Road / Barnsley Road junction, or the Dog up Hagley Road West by Lightwoods Park.
Here's the Bear, it's magnificence restricted to the upper floors now, and the link is to a photo of the junction as I remember it.

https://www.pbase.com/beppuu/image/34807537

HI LLOYED
Many Thanks For The Picture, I Spent Some Shilling InThat Place In Years Gone Bye And By Golly That Pub Since The Sixties ERA As Had Alot Of Changes,
And Make Overs To Many For Me To Count Or Recall ,
There Was Good Bands At The Old Kings Head Thats Where Spencer Davis Got Is First DemeO And Got A Recording Contract I Never Used The Dog On Hagley Rd
My Nepew And Is Associates Used It Thou I Also Used To Used The Old HouseAt Home My Sister In Law Worked There For Years , And Her Mate Carol They Lived In QuintonAt The Time By The Monca Pub ,Theyve Turned That Now Into A Private Members Club Only It The New Way Of Getting A Pub Licence Back When They Have

The great Frank Skinner once lived at the bear pub bearwood, his mom and dad ran the pub, thats were he got his stage name Frank Skinner from it was from a man who used to play dominoes in there. does anyone remember him from those days.

Back